A delicious Ham and Swiss sandwich goes soup style, with this Hearty Ham and Swiss soup recipe featuring Bush’s Organic Variety Kidney Beans.
I’m slowly giving into the fact that it’s no longer summer. The weather in Kansas has been so wishy washy…75 one day, 30 another. I’ve been holding onto those 75 degree days with all my might, but they have been slowly disappearing, giving way to gray skies and colder temperatures. I think we saw our last warm day for awhile at the beginning of this week.
With the cold weather comes the return to comfort food…those dishes that aren’t so popular in the hotter days of summer resurface for the season. My attempt to hold onto summer sometimes shows up in what I make for comfort food. For example, we have Ham and Swiss sandwiches all the time in the summer so to “winterize” that favorite, I like to make a Ham and Swiss soup. This is one of my absolute favorite “hearty” soups to make, for good reason. The flavors blend together so nicely and it really is one of those soups that warms you up from the inside out.
Ham and Swiss soup contains thick chunks of ham (this is a great way to use holiday leftovers), Bush’s Organic Variety Kidney Beans, sweet peas, swiss cheese and more, all in a flavorful, creamy broth. It doesn’t get much more comforting than this!
By the way, did you know Bush’s Beans has a new Organic line of beans? If shopping organic is important to you, you’ll want to check out the newest members to their bean family. You can find organic Bush’s Beans in the following variates: Pinto, Black, Garbanzo and Kidney. For more information about where to find Bush’s Organic Variety Beans, check out their website.
Now see below to find the recipe for comfort food to warm you up on a cold winters day. Enjoy!
Hearty Ham and Swiss Soup Recipe
- 5 teaspoons butter
- 5 teaspoons flour
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans Bush's Organic Kidney Beans
- 2 cups fully cooked ham cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- In a large stock pot, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour then slowly add chicken broth. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium and add peas, onion, kidney beans and ham. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked through, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in heavy whipping cream and oregano and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Finally, stir in Swiss cheese and continue cooking until cheese is melted and broth is smooth.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a brand ambassador for Bush’s Beans. All opinion expressed are my own.