Here’s a heathy, veggie and California Avocado lettuce cup recipe, perfect for summer!
My friends at California Avocados challenged me this month to create a vegetarian recipe, showcasing their avocados. Here’s the deal…since I am currently all about the protein and the veggies, I knew that if I just shared a vegetarian recipe, my family would most likely not eat it. Considering I’m all about making what my family will eat and not being a part of food waste, I decided to create a recipe that can easily be adapted as vegetarian or can be pumped up with some protein. My husband thinks if it doesn’t have meat of some kind, it’s not a meal 🙂 (Can any of you relate?).
This lettuce cups recipe was inspired by a salad I had at a small restaurant in Kansas City recently. The crisp, slightly cooked veggies with the tart lemon juice, tender chicken and creamy California avocados made it the perfect combination of flavors for a really great, hearty meal. Bringing it home in the form of lettuce cups was a no-brainer. My family gobbled them up!
Fresh, flavorful, colorful and delicious… you can’t go wrong with these lettuce cups for a perfect summer meal. Try making these with chicken if your family is like mine and prefers a little meat in their meals. However, you definitely should give chickpeas a try for a really tasty vegetarian option. Either way, you’ll want to keep this recipe handy, because no matter which option you choose, both are easy and delicious. Enjoy!
For a different take on this recipe, try wrapping the filling in one of these zucchini tortillas!
Healthy Veggie Avocado Lettuce Cups Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins cut into 1/2 inch pieces or/
- For vegetarian 1-19 ounce can Bush's Garbanzo Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 cups Kale torn into small pieces, stalks discarded
- 2 California Avocados peeled, seed removed and diced
- 6-8 Radicchio leaves
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- For non-vegetarian, add the chicken, garlic salt and ginger and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- For vegetarian, add the garbanzo beans, garlic salt and ginger. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the shredded carrots, lemon juice and soy sauce. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Add the Kale and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place 1/4 cup of chicken or vegetarian mixture into each lettuce cup. Top with fresh diced California Avocados and serve.
Disclosure: I’m honored to have a long term working relationship with California Avocados. For additional recipes featuring California Avocados, visit their website.