And no, I don’t mean the NFL. In this house, we’re all about College Football! College football season starts this weekend and I’ve got a few excited guys here, ready to hunker down and spend the day cheering on their favorite college football teams. (Go K-State!)
While my boys were immersed in football, I thought I’d play a dirty but delicious trick on them. I told them we’d be eating burgers at half time and to be ready because they were so good! Instead of bringing down the burgers they were used to, I switched things up and made Black Bean Veggie Burgers using Bush’s Black Beans.
As I sat the plates down in front of the guys, I got a quizzical look from my husband…”So these are just burgers with black beans and some vegetables in them?” Me, “Huh? Oh my… look at that quarterback go!!” A diversion was successfully created and I snuck out of the room. Upon returning, I found every last crumb of veggie burgers gone and happy and full boys continuing to be glued to the game.
This recipe I adapted from the Whole Foods website is the best Veggie Burger recipe I’ve tried. It’s filling, flavorful and so much healthier than traditional burgers. The Sriracha turns up the heat a bit and gives it a great kick of flavor. If you love Bush’s Black Beans like we do and love a great burger, then you will be a fan of this recipe! Enjoy!
The Best Black Bean Veggie Burger
- 1 15 ounce can Bush's Black Beans rinsed and drained
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 hamburger buns
- Additional burger toppings like sliced tomatoes onions, lettuce, etc. as desired.
- Place rinsed beans in a large bowl and mash well using a potato masher or a fork.
- Add the egg, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, garlic, salt, pepper and Sriracha. Blend, using your hands, until well combined. Shape mixture into six patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add patties in a single layer and cook, flipping once, until each side is golden brown and cooked through. (8-10 minutes depending on the size of your patties).
- Transfer to buns and top with additional toppings as desired. (We topped each burger with extra Sriracha, which was delicious!). Serve hot.
Recipe adapted from www.wholefoods.com
Disclosure: I am proud to be a compensated brand ambassador for Bush’s Beans. All opinions expressed are my own.