It’s that time of year again… the Earth Day and Picnic for the Planet 2012! Last year, a group of bloggers partnered with The Nature’s Conservacy to encourage you to celebrate this great earth by heading out for a lunch or dinner picnic.
This year, we’ve gathered together with giveaways at each blog to help you get your picnic started off on the right foot! To tempt your tastebuds, I have a tasty Picnic Chicken recipe for you to pack up and take on your outing.
When was the last time you went on a picnic? There are many opportunities this time of year when heading outside to enjoy what this great earth has to offer is as simple as packing up a lunch, grabbing a blanket and walking outside. Everywhere you turn, the beauty of spring surrounds us. Taking the time to enjoy a picnic outside gives you the chance to breathe in the true beauty of the earth.
I hope you’ll commit to enjoying an Earth Day picnic this year. To help make your picnic extra special, our friends at The Nature Conservancy have gathered a basket of some really great products to help inspire you to head outside. They have offered to give away one of these baskets full of goodies (ARV $75) to one lucky Dine & Dish reader! Plus, each of the blogs participating in the Picnic for the Planet blog tour is offering the same giveaway! (List of participating blogs can be found at the end of this post… make sure to check them out!)
The Picnic for the Planet giveaway includes: 1 Coleman Collapsible canvas basket lined with gingham fabric, official Picnic for the Planet merchandise (1 water bottle, 1 tee-shirt, 1 blanket, 1 temporary tattoo), 1 reusable bamboo utensil set by To-Go Ware, 1 bag of Popchips, 1 peeled Snacks organic dried fruit, 1 Green and Black chocolate bar, 1 Back to Nature crackers and cookies and 1 Burt’s Bees chapstick.
To enter the giveaway, simply leave a comment on this post telling me what your favorite picnic food is! For additional entries:
- Become a fan of The Nature Conservancy on Facebook. Leave an additional comment on this post letting me know you’ve completed this.
- Follow The Nature Conservancy on Twitter. Leave an additional comment on this post letting me know you’ve completed this.
All comments must be received by midnight, CST on Sunday, April 22nd. Winner will be chosen via Random.org and notified via valid email address.
Now, for a great picnic recipe… Picnic Chicken! Given to me by my friend Mary Jo and then adapted to what I had on hand in my pantry, this recipe makes for a delicious and not so bad for you, baked “fried” chicken. Enjoy!
- 12 chicken drumsticks patted dry
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour divided
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 cups Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F
- Line up 3 shallow bowls. One bowl should contain 1 cup of flour. The second bowl should contain the beaten eggs. The last bowl should contain the Panko bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of flour, Panko bread crumbs and seasonings.
- Dredge each piece of chicken through each bowl, starting with the flour, moving on to the eggs and ending with the bread crumb mixture.
- Place each chicken piece on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam Cooking Spray. Spray additional Pam on the top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken for 1 hour, turning once at the halfway mark. Remove from the oven place on a try when complete.
Participating Blogs in the Picnic for the PlanetGift Basket Giveaway
- Gourmande in the Kitchen
- Cookin’ Canuck
- Tidy Mom
- The Little Kitchen
- I Am Baker
- Created by Diane
- Food For My Family
- A Spicy Perspective
- All Day I Dream About Food
- Jeanette’s Healthy Living