Bake a little extra this Valentine’s Day and share these Chocolate Marshmallow S’Mores Cookies with someone you love!
Valentine’s Day is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start thinking about what delicious treats you will bake up for your loves this year.
My kids absolutely love S’mores. There is nothing better than sitting around a campfire in the summer, roasting marshmallows, adding chocolate, and pressing them in between two graham crackers. The only problem is, as much as we all love S’mores, for us they are mostly a summer/fall treat. We never have outdoor fire pits in the winter months, which means our S’mores fix never really happens when it’s bitter cold outside.
I was trying to figure out a way to turn my kids favorite treat into something they could enjoy when it’s not outdoor fire pit season. How excited would they be if I surprised them with S’Mores in the middle of winter? I set out to figure out a way to turn our favorite summertime treat into something special for Valentine’s Day.
This cookie recipe was inspired by a Chocolate Marshmallow Cookie recipe from the Karo® Syrup website. They already had the perfect chewy cookie base and melted marshmallow center figured out (Psst…the key is to add Karo), but their version of this cookie is topped with fluffy, chocolate frosting. Adapting this recipe to make a S’Mores version was simple. I rolled the cookie dough in graham cracker crumbs, skipped the frosting, and instead used a small kitchen torch to roast the marshmallows after the cookies were baked. The end result was indoor s’mores, in cookie form!
It makes me so happy to think of the looks on my kids faces when I surprise them with S’Mores Cookies on Valentine’s Day! These cookies taste so good, and are the perfect treat to show a little extra love to your special Valentine. Enjoy!
Chocolate Marshmallow S'Mores Cookies Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter OR margarine softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup Karo® Light Corn Syrup
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 12 large marshmallows halved
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl, set aside.
- Combine butter and sugar in a large mixer bowl and beat on medium speed until pale and fluffy, scraping down sides as needed. Add corn syrup, egg and vanilla. beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Gradually add flour mixture alternately with milk until all is well blended.
- Place graham cracker crumbs in a small bowl. Drop dough by rounded tablespoon into the bowl, and coat each dough ball with graham cracker crumbs. (Dough will be slightly sticky.)
- Drop graham cracker coated dough balls onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 6 to 8 minutes until set. Remove from oven and immediately press a marshmallow half on top of each cookie. Return to oven and bake an additional two minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, carefully "toast" the marshmallow of each cookie with a culinary kitchen torch. (An alternative method would be to place the cookies directly under an over broiler for about 30-60 seconds).
Recipe adapted from the Chocolate Marshmallow Cookies recipe on the Karo® Syrup website.