Do you think you don’t like Brussels Sprouts? Think again! This Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Recipe will change your mind!
Three out of four of my kids are really good eaters. Then there’s Ella. She is definitely my pickiest eater, by far, of the four. The strange thing is, what she chooses to be picky about is not typical. While many kids can’t stand eating chicken on the bone, Ella’s absolute favorite food are these chicken legs. She’ll eat asparagus, she’ll eat salad, and she’ll eat brussels sprouts, of all things. What picky kid eats brussels sprouts? It’s hard enough to get adults to eat brussels sprouts, let alone kids!
Ella is picky about things like the shape of the pasta I’m serving, or the cut of the meat we are having (she loves pork, but refuses to touch pork loin). I’d say she is definitely more strong willed and stubborn than picky when it really comes down to it.
I’m still amazed though that she’ll eat Brussels Sprouts. In fact, I’m kind of amazed that all of my kids will eat Brussels Sprouts. I think it has to do with the fact that when I make them, I cover them in enough good tasting stuff that it makes it impossible not to love. Seriously, there isn’t much out there that bacon and cheesy goodness can’t fix, right? Maybe if we just put bacon and cheese on everything it would all taste good and kids everywhere would stop being picky! Not so sure Michelle Obama would agree with that one 🙂
OK, shall we get to this recipe? This was a recipe my client Food.com asked me to photograph for them, and I have to say that I had to photograph these Brussels Sprouts in a smaller dish than I cooked them in because everyone kept eating them! I’m used to that with cookies and goodies like that, but to have my family picking out of my bowl of Brussels Sprouts? That’s pretty unheard of!
If you are looking for a side dish that is surprisingly delicious and yes… kid friendly… give these Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts a try. Turn your Brussels Sprouts haters into lovers with one taste!
Cheesy Bacon Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- 25-30 fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 8 slices cooked bacon crumbled into bite size pieces
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 clove minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- Additional parmesan cheese for garnish
- Cut ends off Brussels Sprouts and remove yellow or spotted leaves.
- Score an X on the bottom of each sprout (this helps them to be less bitter after cooking)
- Place brussels sprouts in a large stock pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook until tender (approximately 10-15 minutes)
- Remove from heat and drain water.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, heat bacon, sour cream, parmesan cheese, butter and garlic until hot.
- Combine ingredients from the saucepan and the brussels sprouts in a serving dish. Sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper and top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Serve warm.
Adapted from food.com.