Beefy Asian Slaw Stuffed Peppers is a low carb meal with lots of delicious flavor!
Have you all heard of “crack slaw” or what I’m calling Beefy Asian Slaw? My friend Aggie was telling me about how it’s a great low carb meal, but I hadn’t heard of it before. When I told her I wasn’t a big fan of coleslaw, she mentioned it wasn’t really a slaw recipe, but more of a great Asian inspired type meal. Immediately curious, I looked up a crack slaw recipe and decided to give it a try. I am so glad I gave this recipe a chance because it was so good! Like, make it at least once a week, good!
I’m always looking for creative things to do with lean ground beef. Since my in-laws are beef farmers, we always have a freezer full of beef to use and I’m often stumped trying to figure out new ways to cook with it. This Asian Slaw recipe is awesome because it’s filling, low carb, and a great meal using beef. If you aren’t a fan of beef you could also substitute pork or ground chicken, but as beef lovers we decided to make it with lean ground beef. The best part about this recipe besides the fact that my entire family gobbled it up is that it makes fantastic leftovers too. I doubled the Beefy Asian Slaw recipe and have had easy low carb leftovers all weekend long. That’s a win, for sure!
Before I share the Beefy Asian Slaw recipe, let me tell you what changes I made from the original. I picked up this “Cruciferous Crunch Collection” slaw from Trader Joe’s. It’s basically shredded Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Green Cabbage and Red Cabbage. So, it’s a little more hearty and flavorful than just regular shredded cabbage. In addition I used coconut oil instead of sesame oil, eliminated the Splenda and increased the Sriracha sauce because we like our food with a little more heat. Oh, I also baked the cooked slaw in stuffed peppers (20 minutes at 350°F) which I’ve loved for leftovers. That’s not necessary but it just adds an additional element of flavor to an already awesome recipe.
If you are looking for a healthy and delicious meal to add to your dinner rotation, this Asian Slaw or “Crack Slaw” recipe is a must try! Serve it over rice, or eat it as is… you’ll love it either way! Enjoy!
If you love these flavors I have no doubt you’d love this Egg Roll Stirfry recipe too!
Low Carb Beefy Asian Slaw
- 1 lb lean ground beef we prefer Certified Angus Beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 green onions sliced
- 10 ounces Cruciferous Crunch Slaw or original shredded cabbage slaw
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove ground beef and drain excess fat. Set aside.
- In the same large saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Sauté garlic, onions, and slaw in oil until slaw is cooked to desired tenderness.
- Stir in the soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, ginger and white vinegar.
- Add back in the cooked ground beef. Mix well and serve.
- For stuffed peppers, bake in cored bell peppers at 350° for 20 minutes.
Try this simple low budget Korean Beef recipe for another great weeknight meal idea!