Soy Honey Chicken Thighs with Lemon Broccoli – a fresh and flavorful meal!
For the past 3 years, I’ve spent the early hours of my Sunday morning drinking my coffee and reading the New York Times newspaper. It’s been a ritual I look forward to all week, but this week was different.
I’ve been paying for the weekend delivery of my newspaper but for some reason, the Saturday edition of the newspaper has failed to be delivered for several months. Finally, after numerous calls to customer service and their many attempts at “making it right” I realized I was spending more time on the phone with the NY Times than it was worth, so I cancelled my subscription all together. This was the first Sunday without my newspaper, and it was just not the same. Sadface.
One good thing came from my regular newspaper not being here this weekend…I was forced to read the newspaper my husband prefers (and that is always delivered on time), the Wall Street Journal. I usually find the WSJ to be somewhat of a snooze fest, but their Off Duty section is one section I really enjoy. This week, Chef Dan Kluger shared a recipe for Soy Honey Chicken Thighs with Lemon Broccoli that immediately caught my eye. You know we love chicken thighs around here, and Chef Kluger’s recipe looked like the perfect Sunday supper meal!
I changed his preparation just a tad and instead of using bone in thighs like he did, I used boneless skinless chicken thighs (which we prefer). The result was such a fresh, flavorful meal, as easy to prepare as it was to eat.
I upped the flavor profile even more by adding a bit of the San Francisco Salt Co Ultimate Blend Gourmet Salt Trio to the chicken thighs and broccoli. This was my first time using any of the San Francisco Salt Co’s products but I can’t recommend them enough. If you are thinking about unique gifts for the cooks in your life, check out their website. I have a list a mile long I’ve given to my husband of salts I want to try from there!
I hope you all enjoy this Soy Honey Chicken Thighs recipe as much as we did – and if you get the NY Times, think of me and share whatever great things you read from there, especially if you are sitting at your table, drinking your coffee early on a Sunday morning. I’ll wish I was with you.
- 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Kosher or Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of ½ orange
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- 2 large heads broccoli
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- more sea salt or Kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken with garlic, salt, pepper, orange zest, and half the lemon zest. Rub seasoning all over the chicken.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, whisk together the soy sauce, honey and lemon juice until the honey dissolves.
- Lay the chicken in the marinade then flip over after 5 minutes and allow to sit for another 5 minutes.
- Place in the oven and cook for 25 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, toss broccoli with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place in a microwave safe bowl and cover tightly with two layers of plastic wrap.
- Microwave on high until broccoli is tender but still has some crunch (approximately 3 minutes). Transfer broccoli to a serving platter and top with remaining lemon zest. Top with cooked chicken and serve.
Disclosure: I was given a sample of the San Francisco Salt Co Gourmet Salt to try. All opinions expressed are my own.