I cannot help but think each year our annual Christmas party just gets better and better. Just when I think we can’t top the year before, we do.
Our 2007 annual Christmas party was a success with great food, even better friends and lots of laughs! To catch you up, I am turning to my Pamela Barsky Dinner Party Journal to give you the recap. (If you entertain a lot and don’t have one of these journals, get one!! They are great!)
The Occasion: Our annual holiday party with my original M.O.M.S group
Guests: Sara, Mark H, Kathy, Mark D, Bobby, Joanna, Tina, Dave, Nick and I
Cocktails / Wine: I didn’t even keep track this year, but I can tell you I didn’t have one bad glass of wine. They were all really good. I now wish I would have kept track!
- Appetizers – Stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail
- Main Course – Delicious salad brought by Mark H, Rosemary Clover Leaf Rolls (remember these tasty gems?), My famous Buttered Carrots, Tina’s delicious potatoes au gratin, Crab Cakes with Lemon Garlic Aioli, Cedar Plank Salmon
- Desserts – Kathy’s amazing Red Velvet Cherry Chocolate Torte
Memorable Outfits: Everyone looked great and no one got made fun of like last year 🙂
Memorable Moments/Conversations (too many to recount all of them!):
- Well, our oven catching on fire stands out as a big one! Nick was making the second salmon and since the weather was so bad, we had to change plans and he had to make the cedar plank salmon in the oven. He prepped the boards and made the adjustments for the oven vs the grill. As we were eating, Nick all of a sudden flies out of his chair and screams "FIRE!!". Inside our oven was a raging inferno, caused by the cedar plank catching on fire!
- Every year I pass around questions for all of us to answer. Since we all know each other so well and hang out often, these questions often take us past the basic stuff that we normally talk about. The question about accepting an indecent proposal if it meant you would have enough money to save your child’s life sparked quite the debate. We learned a lot about each other with the question of who you would go back and make amends with if you could. The boys had some great answers for if the past year was a food, what food would it be? (Mark – "chili… a bunch of crap thrown in together, but when it is done it is pretty damn good").
- Who knew that Chuck Norris jokes could be so funny? Apparently, to the guys who had their fill of wine for the night, Chuck Norris jokes are pretty popular. I don’t think I have ever seen Mark H laugh so hard! The girls were laughing just as hard watching the guys laugh so hard!
- Our Dirty Santa Gift exchange is always fun! Poor Joanna got picked on for the guys gift she brought, which wasn’t bar equipment or alcohol related. Apparently, there is an unspoken rule among the guys about what to bring and it has to be in one of those two categories!
Well, the oven catching on fire was a bit embarrassing. It is a good thing I know these people so well or I might have been mortified 🙂
Next time I will: Do everything the same. It was great! Oh, and per Bobby’s request ask the question "If we were all on an island and one of us had to be voted off, who would you choose and why?"
Next time I won’t: Have cedar plank salmon in the oven. It was delicious, but it is just a whole heck of a lot easier to do on the grill!
Thank you to Kirsten of Kirsten’s Home Cooking Adventures for one of the best crab cake recipes I have ever tried. Here it is for all of you to enjoy. Happy Holidays!