This “heart”y heart healthy muffin recipe is full of great ingredients, like Fisher Walnuts, Oatmeal and Applesauce!
It’s funny how our tastes change as we get older, isn’t it? I used to hate having things in my muffins. In fact, I used to pretty much make muffins that resembled as close to a breakfast cupcake as possible. Plain Jane muffins, delicious, but not really substantial.
As I’ve aged, I’ve realized I want more out of my breakfast. Instead of something that’s filling, I want a hearty breakfast with substance to sustain me until lunch time. Those breakfast cupcake muffins I used to make weren’t going to cut it. I needed a muffin recipe full of good for me ingredients that also doubled as a filling and substantial start to my day.
This is where this Hearty Muffin recipe comes in. Protein packed with heart healthy ingredients like Fisher Walnut Halves and Pieces, oatmeal and applesauce, these are muffins I feel great about starting my day with. I mean, just look at them… don’t they look like they’d be a filling, awesome start to your day? And they are less than 200 calories per hearty serving, which leaves room for lots of other good food throughout the day! To make these muffins even better, when you bake them with Fisher Nuts you are choosing one of the only brands of recipe nuts entirely without preservatives…more goodness!
Are you ready to start your day like a grown up? Then definitely give this muffin recipe a try! Your heart and health will thank you!
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cupFisher Walnut Halves and Pieces, chopped
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- For the Topping:
- ¼ cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ cup Fisher Walnut Halves and Pieces, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix together the applesauce, milk, melted coconut oil and egg until well blended.
- Stir in the dry ingredients (oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt).
- Blend with a spoon until all the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full.
- In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients.
- Sprinkle topping over the batter.
- Bake for 16 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
Craving more recipes, like this muffin recipe, featuring Fisher Nuts? Here are some favorites from around the web:
- Nutty Granola Bites from Shugary Sweets
- Oatmeal Walnut Caramel Banana Pancakes from Picky Palate
- Honey Almond Flax Granola from Aggies’ Kitchen
- Cinnamon Applesauce Bread with Walnuts from Good Life Eats
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Fisher. The opinions and text are all mine.