This easy Black Beans and Rice Recipe is full of flavor thanks to Bush’s Black Beans in Mild Chili Sauce. Eat it alone, as burrito bowl or filling for a tortilla wrap.
Do you ever think about what your last meal request would be? I’ve eaten some incredible food in my lifetime, but I think for my very last meal I’d go with anything I can get at Chipotle. I especially love their Chicken Burrito Bowls, with black beans and rice, lettuce, cheese and sour cream. I think if I had a Chipotle burrito bowl before I died, I’d die happy!
We don’t have a Chipotle too close to us, but that doesn’t stop me from attempting to make food like theirs at home. In case Chipotle isn’t accessible when it’s time for my last meal, someone around me needs to know how to make my favorite food!
This Black Beans and Rice recipe is one of my favorites and is so simple to make, thanks to the use of Bush’s Black Chili Beans in mild chili sauce. These seasoned beans add a lot of flavor to this dish, so I don’t need to fuss around with a lot of ingredients. Who has time for that, right?
You can have this recipe ready in about 20 minutes – which you know as a busy, always running around mom who values family dinner time – this is important to me. I want something nutritious and filling for my family to eat, but during the weeknights I don’t have a ton of time to spend cooking.
We will sometimes eat Black Beans and Rice by itself as a meal or side, but my favorite way to serve it is in a bowl with chopped romaine, sour cream and cheese. Wrapping it up in a soft, flour tortilla is a popular option around here as well! Either way, this quick recipe is one that you can make and stretch out throughout the week to make several meals from, which is another reason why I love it! Less cooking for me!
Whether it’s your last meal or just a quick dinner for the family, I hope you enjoy this Black Beans and Rice recipe as much as we do!
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 15.5 ounce cans Bush's Black Beans in Mild Chili Sauce (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon Creole Seasoning (I prefer Zatarain's Original Big N' Zesty)
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Optional: lettuce, sour cream, shredded cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add chopped green pepper and onion and sauté until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Stir in chicken broth, black pepper, Bush's Black Beans in Mild Chili Sauce and Creole seasoning. Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, until beans are hot and cooked through.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked rice and bean mixture.
- Serve as is, or place in a bowl with chopped lettuce, sour cream and shredded cheese or wrap in a flour tortilla.
Disclosure: I have an ongoing, working relationship with Bush’s Beans. All opinions expressed are my own. For more great recipes, visit www.BushBeans.com