An adapted Weight Watchers recipe, this Rosemary Chicken with Broccoli in Broth makes for a comforting and healthy dinner.
I missed a day of NaBloPoMo yesterday. I had every intention of posting, but the day just went on and on and my energy level kept getting lower and lower. I knew I had to wake up this morning at 4:20 to head to the gym and so I made the executive decision at around 10pm that getting a good nights sleep was more important than trying to maintain some crazy posting schedule in November.
I’m bummed that I missed, but I’m back today and that’s what matters. The world has not ended because I missed publishing a blog post yesterday. Funny how the world really doesn’t revolve around us much, isn’t it? 🙂
I’m back though, after my one day hiatus, with a healthy dinner recipe inspired by the Weight Watchers Weekly handout I got at my meeting last weekend. The recipe in the Weight Watchers pamphlet was this Chicken and Fennel in Rosemary-Wine Broth. The recipe is not a whole lot like the recipe I’m sharing, except the flavors are similar and I was totally inspired by the cooking technique…they lightly breaded and “fried” the chicken, and it’s still considered a healthy dinner recipe!
My kids gobbled this up, my husband raved and I felt full and satisfied after one small serving. Plus, this recipe was perfect for how cold it has been here lately. It wasn’t quite soup, but still was a bowl full of healthy comfort!
Whether your watching your waistline or just looking for a flavorful and delicious healthy dinner idea to serve your family, I definitely recommend giving this recipe a try! Enjoy!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breast tenderloins
- 1¼ tsp rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 5 tsp all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, extra-virgin, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 14½ oz reduced sodium chicken broth
- ½ tsp table salt, or to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- Place chicken on a plate and sprinkle with rosemary and flour and toss to coat.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook, turning regularly with tongs, until lightly browned, and chicken pieces are cooked through.
- In same skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add onion and garlic; sauté until lightly browned and almost tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, stirring bottom of pan to scrape up browned bits, about 1 minute.
- Add the broccoli and chicken back into the pot. Cover with a lid and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until broccoli is tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over cooked brown rice, if desired.