A Father’s Day recipe for meatball subs with a Hawaiian touch and made with King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls.
Father’s Day is this weekend… yay dads! Don’t you think dads are the hardest to buy for? I struggle every year for both my husband and my dad when it comes to father’s day gifts. One year I got my husband a lawn mower and he was ecstatic, but it felt so wrong. I mean, it’s pretty much the equivalent of him buying me a vacuum for mother’s day. No one wants things that reminds them of all the chores they have left to do around the house for Mother’s Day, do they? Well, I guess if it was a really nice high end vacuum I’d maybe have a different opinion, but still…I’m pretty sure that things that remind us of our to-do list which is ten miles long are not acceptable gifts.
I think from now on to be safe I’m just going to go with food for Father’s Day gifting… big epic meals full of man pleasing food. Like these Hawaiian Meatball Subs on King’s Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls. Oh dear me, were they good! And easier than easy! Like the folks on the island of Hawaii, “People Go Pupule For King’s Hawaiian” and they will for these meatball subs as well! Enjoy and Happy Father’s Day!
- 18 frozen meatballs, cooked according to package directions
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Orange Bell Pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup Fresh Pineapple Chunks
- 1 Cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons Teriyaki Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Sirachi
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 6 King's Hawaiian Mini Sub Rolls
- Cook meatballs according to package directions.
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add peppers and pineapple and sauté until bell pepper is tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add cooked meatballs and reduce heat.
- In the meantime, combine chicken broth, teriyaki sauce, sirachi, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour sauce over meatball mixture in the frying pan. Stir until well combined. Increase heat until the sauce begins to boil, stirring continuously. Once a slow, rolling boil begins, remove pan from heat. Stir until sauce is thick and has glazed the meatballs, pineapple and peppers.
- Place 3 meatballs and a spoonful of the pepper / pineapple mixture on each mini sub roll. Top and serve warm.
Disclosure: I was compensated by King’s Hawaiian to create a recipe and share it using their products. All opinions expressed are my own.