I wasn’t going to share this dump cake recipe with you. I don’t know why… I just felt like maybe it was beneath my “standards”.
I have no idea why I’m being so judgey with myself about it! It’s really not that different than the amazing Peach Dump Cake I shared on Dine & Dish a couple years ago. It’s not like I’m “above” using canned ingredients and box cake mixes. I guess I just felt that it was too simple. In fact, it was so simple, Leah (my 4 year old) pretty much made it herself. I just had to open the cans for her and tell her what to do and she did it. With an abundance of pride, at that!
I was making this recipe to photograph for a client…and honestly, did not think it was going to be all that great. But when it was fresh out of the oven and I sneaked a spoonful, I couldn’t help but keep digging in. I then topped the cake with whipped cream and had a little bit of cherry chocolate dessert euphoria right in my little kitchen. This recipe is simply simple, but simply good. I’ve even deemed it “company worthy” if served in a little fancy dessert dish!
Please don’t judge me like I’m judging myself for sharing this recipe with you today! I promise, once you make this and take your first bite, any thought of judgement will fly right out the window. Enjoy!
- 2 20 ounce cans cherry pie filling
- 1 18.5 ounce box Devil's Food Cake Mix, unprepared
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Dump cherry pie filling into a 13x9 inch cake pan. Spread evenly out in pan.
- Top cherry pie filling with unprepared cake mix. Make sure it is evenly spread out.
- Drizzle melted butter over the top.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve topped with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.