This recipe post is sponsored by Bush’s Beans.
You can tell by the different soup recipes I’ve posted on Dine & Dish throughout the years that I turn to soup for comfort. My mentality has always been the creamier, the heartier, the cheesier, the better! Why waste time and calories on a “healthy” soup? Surely they don’t taste as good as a big, steaming bowl of, let’s say, baked potato soup?
Then I met Sarah Jenks and started going through the Live More Weigh Less Mastery program, and began to really understand my not so great relationship with food. I’m discovering that the decisions I make every day with some of my less than stellar food choices are going to be really hard habits to break. But, I’m working on it…and with the artillery of information Sarah is sharing, I’m really starting to break through some life long barriers and am changing my relationship with food. Which brings me to this Healthy 2 Bean Kale Soup recipe.
This soup is not creamy. It’s definitely not cheesy. It is chock full of some serious veggies and packed with the protein power of beans. And you know what? It’s comforting. It’s flavorful. It’s fantastic! Who knew?
I don’t feel like I’m depriving myself one bit with this soup. In fact I feel pretty darn good knowing that I’m putting some great stuff into my body and fulfilling my need for nourishment without sacrificing one ounce of flavor. This doesn’t mean I’m going to deprive myself of creamy baked potato soup – in fact I have that on the menu for Thursday night. But I now have something in my recipe repertoire that is a great, filling substitute when I want a healthy bowl full of comfort. That makes me happy!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 Vidilia onion, chopped
- 4 cups raw kale, washed, chopped and spines removed
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 15 ounce can Bush's Canellini Beans
- 1 15 ounce can Bush's Dark Red Kidney Beans
- 4 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil.
- Add garlic and onion; sauté until onion is transparent.
- Add Kale. Sauté, stirring until Kale is wilted and a bright green, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the broth, beans, carrots, tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Simmer over medium heat until vegetables are tender and soup is heated completely through, about 20 minutes. Serve hot and enjoy!
Disclosure: I am honored to be a compensated brand ambassador for Bush’s Beans. All opinions expressed are my own.