Disconnected {Recipe: 3 Ingredient Shortbread Cookies}

3 Ingredient Simple Shortbread Cookies

Have I mentioned I’ve deleted all the social media apps from my phone?

Instagram has stayed, but everything else has gone. In addition, I’m keeping my phone downstairs instead of having it in my bedroom next to my bed. Some of you with the same addiction to being connected may understand how hard this has been for me. Others of you, who have a healthy relationship with social media and your phones may not. Either way, I knew it was something I needed to do to become more present in my life, less sidetracked when I should be on task, and more productive.

iphone pictures being taken

It was my friend Kelley who gave me the suggestion… we were at a wonderful retreat together at the beginning of the month and she told me how much deleting social media apps from her phone has improved her life. It also hit me kind of hard when I was sitting with some of my best blogging friends in person… people I am used to connecting with only via social media…and we were all around a big table, in person, together and Kelley whispered across the table to me “Every single person is on their phone!”. Sure enough, I glance around and we are all chatting with each other but our faces were buried in our phones. How can we be truly connecting with each other when we are not even looking at each other? Is what I saw at that table, surrounded by beloved friends, what my family sees when they look at me?

Talk about a wake up call!

Tea time with shortbread cookies

So now, my phone will not be the first thing I connect with in the morning and the last thing I connect with at night. I’ll have more time for being with my family, reading, exercise, and all the other things I need to make space for. Social media will be reserved for the times where I am sitting at my desk by my computer, during my set work hours (which I’m still trying to carve out…that’s really hard too!).

What does this have to do with these amazing shortbread cookies? Nothing really… except for the fact that these are about as simple as can be and sometimes simplifying your life and the things around you is what will bring you the biggest riches. I know I will gain so much more by disconnecting some than I ever will have from being too connected. Don’t you agree?

3 Ingredient Shortbread Cookies

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This recipe was featured on Food.com and makes the best, simple shortbread. Serve with tea or coffee or use as a base for any recipe requiring shortbread.
Serves: 2 dozen
Ingredients
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • 2 sticks real salted butter (if using unsalted butter, add a tiny pinch of salt)
  • 2 cups flour
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. Cream together the butter and sugar.
  3. Once blended, add the flour. Continue to mix together until mixture becomes a soft dough (it'll be crumb like at the beginning...keep mixing and it will turn to dough. If needed, add 1-2 Tablespoons of water).
  4. Roll dough out onto a slightly floured surface until ¼ inch thick.
  5. Cut into rounds and place on a parchment or Silpat lined baking sheet.
  6. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a pale, golden brown.

I used this set of cookie cutters to get the perfectly, round shortbread cookies pictured above.

Comments

These look beautiful and I agree about social media. I used to have someone watch my son so I could get work done…since we lost our nanny (she moved out of state w/ her bf, cry!) its just been me. Cramming it all in…well…its impossible. I had to learn that it was actually impossible to do all this and my household duties. So now I work naptimes and evenings after my kids are in bed. I wont say my work isnt suffering but atleast I dont have a headache of worry about both.

trisha

Youre superwoman in my eyes. I NEED desperately to disconnect. My husband is always complaining about how often Im on my phone, and Im sure I should definitely be playing with my kids, not just sitting on the floor with them watching them play while Im on social media. its bogus, and Ive known it for awhile, I try to make an effort, but its just.ALWAYS.there. I can’t even shut it off and its so bad. I need to disconnect, spend more actual time with my husband, and kids, without always having my nose in the screen. The only place we’re good about it is sitting at the table, whether it be at home or out to eat, we don’t bring our phones.
    Im still trying to grow my blog, Im a mini, mini..and I think the pressure to always be present and interact doesnt ever leave my mind…I wish there was a secret potion or way to grow without always being on social media…
    anyways, this is definitely inspiring…hoping to make a change after reading this post, no promises on deleting them..I dont have as much willpower as you, you rock girl!, but hopefully I can be more present in every day moments…thanks kristen :)

Good for you Kristen. Such a hard thing to do. Believe me, Facebook has been off my phone for two months plus. People have asked me have you seen this or that? I believe logging in to FB via computer is all the time I can give at this moment. I struggle with it. What I don’t struggle with is now being more present as my kids need me the most now. The other part is that living in a world of comparison is not healthy for the soul. Love where I live, but it also has its draw backs when it comes to this matter. I hope you are enjoying life more. I can’t imagine the time it consumed as your blog site is amazing so I can see how social media on your phone could suck up your precious time. Stay strong!

Kelley is such a good gal to have on hand to remind me about life balance! She does it so well. I love the idea of not having your phone in your bedroom, it really is the first and last thing I pay attention to each day. Bleeech, that sounds so awful!

I love that this recipe only has 3 ingredients. My mom’s favorite cookie on the planet is shortbread and I feel like I could actually pull these off!! And I love what you’re doing with the disconnect. Also cracking up that it was a blogging event that inspired it. You’re right – every blogging event we are all in our phones!!! You’re inspiring, Kristen.

Wow, I am in awe of you that you were able to delete all social media apps from your iphone. . I think the only one I use and am on all the time is instagram. . but yes, absolutely agree with being more present in your life, less sidetracked and more productive. And I LOVE these cookies. They are perfect!!!

It’s easy to feel like you’re going to be disconnected from what’s going on if you are less involved in social media, but I think that the opposite is actually true! Without the constant buzzing of the phone and constant checking in on everything, there is more time for real-life connection. Thanks for the reminder. :) The cookies look fabulous, too!

Good for you!! Setting work hours is my hardest part, and then being productive during that time. I don’t actually own a cell phone (crazy, I know) so that makes it really easy to be disconnected, but very hard when you WANT to be connected :) I’ve learned that Twitter simply doesn’t work for me without a constant connection, so I kinda ignore it.
    And this shortbread? Perfect simplicity! This must be melt-in-your-mouth buttery.

YUM on the cookies- printing off now.

I hear you on the phone issue- can’t seem to talk to anyone anymore. I rarely use mine for social media unless I’m sitting in a waiting room. Usually just checking & replying to emails when I’m not at my desk. Still a time suck though.

I just saw you in a group pic over on Jenny’s blog today- was nice to see that you were there at that retreat. Much needed I’m sure. Hoping one day I will get the chance to go to one & we can finally meet. It’s been too many years of this virtual only connection.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately. I seem to be so attached to my phone, it’s almost like a nervous habit. When I have a moment, I reach for it. This is a timely reminder that I need to be more present and not so attached, especially while I still have a little one at home. That’s one of the many reasons why I love reading your blog. You inspire me to be better. BTW, the cookies look fabulous!