Give summer a final hurrah with this Summer Harvest salad, bursting with fresh California Avocados, juicy tomatoes and grilled sweet corn.
It’s that time of year where if you are un-like me, you have garden abundance. Tomatoes, sweet corn, basil, and so much more coming out your ears.
I say unlike me because I can not keep a garden, or even a house plant, alive to save my life. In fact, I’m probably pretty lucky that I’ve been able to keep my children thriving considering my history with house plants. If there is such a thing as a black thumb, I’ve got it.
Luckily I have awesome neighbors who have back yards lush with growth…gardens with fruit and vegetables a plenty and they share. Yes! They grow enough stuff that they have more than plenty to share! That amazes me. Every time I’ve grown something I’ve had to pluck the one little fruit of my labor off the plant and hoard it just in case there was no more… usually, there was no more.
So this time of year, I always think about the end of summer and those last bucket loads of garden abundance that come our way. When Labor Day comes around, I like to give those ingredients a grand hurrah. One last chance to put to bed the fine flavors of summer and to look ahead at the more comforting flavors of fall.
And although we eat California Avocados all year round, avocados just speak summer to me… so adding them to our “grand hurrah” meal just makes sense.
This Summer Harvest Salad is loaded with the abundant produce of summer. From juicy grape tomatoes, bursting with flavor, to fresh, creamy California Avocados and of course, grilled sweet corn, this is summer in a bowl. What better way to say goodbye to one of my favorite times of the year and to welcome a new season of abundance? Enjoy!
- 2 California Avocados, chopped
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- 3 ears of grilled sweet corn, kernels removed and cob thrown away
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Basil, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (not margarine), melted
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Place California Avocados, grape tomatoes, sweet corn kernels and basil in a medium bowl. Gently toss.
- Drizzle butter and lime juice over salad, gently toss again.
- Sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- For best flavor and freshness, serve immediately.
Disclosure: I am honored to be a paid brand ambassador for California Avocados. All opinions expressed are my own!