Abundance {Recipe: Summer Harvest Salad}

Give summer a final hurrah with this Summer Harvest salad, bursting with fresh California Avocados, juicy tomatoes and grilled sweet corn.
Summer Harvest Salad with Avocados, Tomatoes and Grilled Corn

It’s that time of year where if you are un-like me, you have garden abundance. Tomatoes, sweet corn, basil, and so much more coming out your ears.

I say unlike me because I can not keep a garden, or even a house plant, alive to save my life. In fact, I’m probably pretty lucky that I’ve been able to keep my children thriving considering my history with house plants. If there is such a thing as a black thumb, I’ve got it.

Summer Harvest Salad Ingredients from www.dineanddish.net

Luckily I have awesome neighbors who have back yards lush with growth…gardens with fruit and vegetables a plenty and they share. Yes! They grow enough stuff that they have more than plenty to share! That amazes me. Every time I’ve grown something I’ve had to pluck the one little fruit of my labor off the plant and hoard it just in case there was no more… usually, there was no more.

Bowl of Summer Harvest Salad with Avocado Tomato and Corn on the Cob

So this time of year, I always think about the end of summer and those last bucket loads of garden abundance that come our way. When Labor Day comes around, I like to give those ingredients a grand hurrah. One last chance to put to bed the fine flavors of summer and to look ahead at the more comforting flavors of fall.

And although we eat California Avocados all year round, avocados just speak summer to me… so adding them to our “grand hurrah” meal just makes sense.

This Summer Harvest Salad is loaded with the abundant produce of summer. From juicy grape tomatoes, bursting with flavor, to fresh, creamy California Avocados and of course, grilled sweet corn, this is summer in a bowl. What better way to say goodbye to one of my favorite times of the year and to welcome a new season of abundance? Enjoy!

Summer Harvest Salad - Tomatoes, Grilled Corn and Avocados

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

This Summer Harvest Salad is loaded with abundant produce of summer. Fresh avocados, juicy grape tomatoes and grilled sweet corn provide the most wonderful flavors of the season.
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 2 California Avocados, chopped
  • 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3 ears of grilled sweet corn, kernels removed and cob thrown away
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh Basil, chopped
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (not margarine), melted
  • 1 pinch Kosher salt
  • Cracked black pepper, to taste
Instructions
  1. Place California Avocados, grape tomatoes, sweet corn kernels and basil in a medium bowl. Gently toss.
  2. Drizzle butter and lime juice over salad, gently toss again.
  3. Sprinkle with Kosher salt and pepper to taste.
  4. For best flavor and freshness, serve immediately.

Disclosure: I am honored to be a paid brand ambassador for California Avocados. All opinions expressed are my own!

Comments

Question? What are the gorgeous purple / black leaf beauties? Sounds delic! If I took out the corn, it would even be paleo (and swap the butter for ghee) ! Kristen for the win!!

• says

no (she says sheepishly). I opted for relationship building as opposed to training. Had a mom over for a glass of wine … her daughter stayed for a sleepover. I’ve got my alarm set for super early to get some time in … better to start the day off with a run vs trying to squeeze it in at the last minute.

• says

Relationship building always gets my vote! Plus, it’s not good for your body to run every other day. You should have a day of strength training or rest in between each run. :)

• says

I knew I liked you for a reason :) I am certain it will be easier to get my run time in once school starts. The littlest little gets up at crack-o-dawn each morning which buzzkills THAT opportunity … by the time it cools off again here in Florida, it’s wine-o-clock! Thanks for motivation …. I’ll check in tomorrow!

• says

I did find an accidental basil plant flourishing in an old pot this summer. It was huge – and then I found it and it died. I’ve got GREAT luck ;)

This post made me sad and happy, all at once. Sad to see the summer go. Very, very sad about that. But, happy to think of a new season of abundance. Fall is around the corner, and it always brings so many blessings and fun, family moments, too. Thank you for that little reminder this morning. Love you!

This salad sounds so fresh and fantastic! And so colorful! I love it!
    I don’t have a green thumb either…every single time Ive tried to grow something, it fails. I wish I had an overabundance of garden fresh veggies like your neighbors!!

I did a very similar salad for the 4th of July and it was gone so fast. These flavors can’t be beat for summer. Definitely a great way to use up the last of that summer produce. I love it!

Wow, Kristen! Your photos are amazing and the fresh summer salad looks so delicious! Like you… I am super fortunate that my mom and brother both share their organic garden produce with me! I’m scared to grow veggies in the mountains for fear it will attract bears & coyotes! Ha!

1. […] Just went to bed after an excellent dinner with my favorite people. I tried out this recipe that I swiped from Destination Delicious, which is a food community on Facebook started by the wife of a friend. Definitely worth the follow, if you’re into tasty and interesting looking recipes. The original food blog the recipe was post from can be found here! […]