The Power of Referrals

Dine and Dish Business Cards by Lana's Shop

I created a resume for my post-college job search… 20 years later, that is the only resume for myself I’ve ever created. Since finding my first job (which ironically was in recruiting – where I helped others create resumes and find jobs) I have progressed through my career(s) based on referrals and word of mouth alone. Word of mouth is a powerful thing… if I know someone has been extremely happy utilizing a service, site or employee I am that much more likely to use them, aren’t you?

I thought it would be fun to share a couple recommendations of people / services I’ve been very happy with lately… just in case you might be looking for someone to provide a similar service! In return, I’d appreciate if you’d leave the name or website of someone you’ve worked with lately who you’ve been happy with (doesn’t have to be blog related)! Let’s use the power of referrals to connect others.

Lana's Shop

Business-Card-CloseFirst up is Lana’s Shop. Lana recently designed my new business cards and I am so in love with them… I can’t wait to hand them out at the upcoming BlogHer Food Conference in Austin!

I connected with Lana through a referral from Yoked, a company that connects bloggers and businesses. As soon as I saw Lana’s handdrawn illustrations, I was in love. She is so talented… and kind and professional. If you are looking for design work done, especially when it comes to stationary items, Lana is the gal for you! You can find Lana at her website www.lanasshop.com, Facebook and Pinterest.

Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 10.56.42 AM

I’m so excited to introduce you all to Alison from Polish Your Blog. Alison has become my “go to gal” for helping me with adding new elements of design to Dine & Dish. She is the one who created my media kit page for potential clients and she also designed my fabulous email newsletter that goes out to all of you who are subscribed to Dine & Dish via email. (You can subscribe here if you haven’t done so!)

Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 10.56.05 AM

I know several people who have used Alison to polish their blog, newsletter, etc. and they have been thrilled with her! You can connect with Alison and check out all the services she offers on Polish Your Blog. I know you’ll love working with Alison!

Finally, let me introduce you to Robin from Grits Design. I don’t have anything fancy to show here for Robin because she does all the behind the scenes stuff for Dine & Dish. She makes sure my site remains hacker free, messes with code when I have no idea what I’m doing, and basically is my right hand lady behind the scenes at Dine & Dish. I don’t know what I’d do without her! Robin has fantastic and affordable regular maintenance plans for bloggers and website owners, starting at $35 a month. She also can help bloggers with hosting solutions, moving platforms and more. You can connect with Robin through Grits Design. She’s one smart cookie!

And, now it’s your turn! Have you worked with any individuals or businesses lately that you want to shout on the rooftops about for their great work? Leave their info in the comments section. I’d love to check them out! Thanks!

Comments

This is wonderful!! I couldn’t agree more….word of mouth and referrals are just so priceless. And such a genuine, great way for all us small business out there to connect. My recent stand out girl has to be Brit with http://www.PollinizeMedia.com. I’m not great with putting down my thoughts on paper and she picked up my voice immediately for card ideas and emails and has been so helpful and fun to work with.

This is so true! I even see this when bigger blogs mention me, it draws a lot of new readers to my site and for that I am always incredibly thankful!
    This is such a thoughtful and kind post and a really great idea! I loved reading about your favorites!

• says

That is the best, isn’t it? I wish I had that kind of referral power to send people a lot of traffic! That’d be pretty cool.
      Thanks so much for your support!

I love your new business card, Kristen! What a great idea, the power of a referral is a pretty big deal! I go by referrals all the time.

I would love to share my friend and attorney’s info. His name is Stephen and he’s pretty awesome. He tells it like it is and he’s always very prompt in getting back to me. He helped me file my trademark and he helps me with contracts! His email is stephen@smithlawtlh.com

• says

It really does – especially since there are so many flakes out there. Goodness knows I met my share of them just trying to get my site re-designed! I rarely do business with someone who isn’t personally referred to me anymore!

You know, you’ve been the best person for all these referrals. I’ve already used Alison and I just contacted Lana yesterday after seeing your Instagram photo of your business cards. Mine are in bad shape and I just can’t design worth anything. So thank you for being an awesome referrer-er :)

I was just thinking yesterday that the timing is right to do a post like this myself Kristen. I do them from time to time and have some great resources to share, Robin being one of mine as well. I completely agree on the value of referrals and word of mouth and love that you’ve shared these gems of yours!

Awww…big hugs to Lana for the kind words about Pollinize Media! It’s been so fun working with different local businesses and women entrepreneurs. People won’t stop buzzing about my logo, designed by Lana. She did a WONDERFUL job. I cannot wait for her to my biz cards!

Lana is SO talented and SO easy to work with. Truly genuine, approachable people are hard to come by these days and Lana is a breath of fresh air and a TOTAL GEM.

7. gigi kennedy says

great idea!!! love spreading the good word about great people. I don’t have any service related referrals, but I did get some really great flour sack veggie bags from a sweet little etsy store recently. OhLittleRabbit I purchased 2 of the screen printed flour sack drawstring bags to tote home my veggie haul at the market (no more plastic bags!! yay!!!) they are SO great! love the illustrations and they are very well made. going to be my on my go-to gift list from now on.

have a happy day!