Simplifying Spring {Recipe: Decadent Scrambled Eggs}

I’m partnering with KRAFT on this wonderful brunch recipe, and chatting about my current obsession… farmhouse living.

Decadent Scrambled Eggs from www.dineanddish.netFriends, if you follow me on Instagram and Facebook, you know I’ve been doing a lot of dreaming lately… some may call it obsessing, but I’ll stick with dreaming.

You see, a house we have loved for the past 12 years recently went on the market. It’s a gorgeous little 1936 farmhouse with land and character and all kinds of wonderful features. The best part is, it’s still in town…just a few short blocks from where we live now. It’s one of those rare, best of both world scenarios. An old, charming house with land, still within just a short drive to Target and Starbucks and still with neighbors nearby. That’s my kind of living!

The thing is, the house is old… it has small bedrooms, a smaller kitchen, tiny closets… like you’d expect a 1936 farmhouse to have. But, we live in a very spacious 6 year old house right now. Moving to something like this would be a HUGE adjustment in lifestyle for our family. It would mean downsizing on stuff… simplifying our lives and getting rid of all the excess. The benefit though is what we’d lose for space on the inside, we’d gain 10xs on the outside, and something about that truly appeals to me. Gardens and outdoor movies on the lawn and pickup football games… tree houses and hide and seek and outdoor entertaining with white lights and long covered tables… it’s such a dream of ours. Would we be able to live smaller? Could we do it?

farmhouseWe’re still just in the dreaming phase of things… who knows if this will ever happen.The house is a charmer and will probably get snapped up before we even make up our minds if we want to go for it, but it’s fun to dream.

In the meantime, I’m taking advantage of the time of year and am spring cleaning like never before. The excess of stuff in our house is starting to really get to me, so I’m boxing up, digging through, and donating as much as I can. I’m also trying to avoid trips to the grocery store when our pantry and fridge already has ingredients I can play with to make something new.

In fact, I was looking in my fridge and pantry trying to come up with a good brunch recipe. I had all kinds of things, but really wanted to use up the excessive amount of cream cheese I happened to have. (Since becoming a cheesecake making fool, I have gone a little overboard on the Philadelphia Cream Cheese!) I took to my facebook page and asked you all…”Aside from cheesecake, what’s your favorite thing to make with cream cheese?” The answers I got surprised me… everything from dill pickle dip to birthday carrot cake…but the one thing that I couldn’t believe people put cream cheese in was scrambled eggs. Really? Amber and Erin had me convinced it was the greatest thing ever…so I decided to give it a try for brunch.

decadent scrambled eggs

I am here to tell you that Amber and Erin did not lead me wrong. Adding cream cheese to your scrambled eggs produces the fluffiest, most flavorful eggs. I also have heard of people adding Miracle Whip to scrambled eggs as well. I decided to go big or go home and included both cream cheese and Miracle Whip in this scrambled egg recipe. Oh my… cleaning out the fridge never created such decadent results.

You can serve these eggs alone for brunch or do what I did and add them to a softened tortilla with some spring mix greens and gorgonzola cheese. Either way, I am convinced you should try it. You won’t be sorry you did!

Check out the Kraft recipe database for more brunch recipes!

Decadent Scrambled Eggs

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

These decadent scrambled eggs have a surprise ingredient or two... give it a try, I know you'll love it! Thanks to Amber and Erin for the inspiration!
Serves: 4 servings
Ingredients
Instructions
  1. Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat. Meanwhile, beat eggs, cream cheese and Miracle Whip with wire whisk until well blended. Add to skillet.
  2. Cook until eggs begin to set, stirring occasionally. Top with Kosher salt and pepper.
  3. For a brunch wrap, top a flour tortilla with spring mix, ¼ cup scrambled eggs and gorgonzola cheese (or cheese of your choice). Serve warm.

Disclosure: I am proud to be a part of the 2013 Kraft Tastemakers blogger ambassador team. All opinions expressed are my own.

Comments

SUCH a hard decision – I would love to have more land but our new house has a small yard. I just don’t know about less bathrooms!! Less to clean! My dream is a ranch on Hawaii. One day! I have never tried cream cheese in scrambled eggs – it sounds really good!! (PS LOVE the dish – you know thats my fave color! Let me guess Pier !? ha ha)

2. Vanessa says

I haven’t tried putting cream cheese actually in the beaten eggs but we make them with cream cheese folded inside the curds of the scrabled eggs. Creamy and very yummy, we love it with spinach, mushrooms & cream chesse.

I adore that farmhouse!!! I completely vote that you look into it! As someone who downsized houses this past year, I can offer that I haven’t regretted the decision for a minute. :)

These eggs sound wonderful. I had never heard of adding cream cheese!

I’ve never thought about adding cream cheese to my eggs. Will have to try it out next time.
    Love the farmhouse – it’s funny how you just adjust to something when you have too. Can’t wait to see what happens with adventure.

I think that you would love the house. Less space means more quality time as a family. And, big yards are pretty awesome, too. :)
    I have not put cream cheese in the eggs, but I love spreading it on a bagel and then topping it with the scrambled eggs. Breakfast perfection. Happy weekend!

I have never heard of that, ever! Sounds delicious, and yes, so very decadent. YUM! Gotta try that soon. Maybe in an omelet too?

The farmhouse … so cool! Keep us posted on what y’all decide. That would be so fun!

This may sound silly… but I am ALWAYS looking for good scrambled egg recipes. I am not kidding!!! Cant wait to try this. And I really hope you guys get this sweet home… I can already imagine all the positive ways it will change your life. Heres hoping for a whole new section on your blog… The House! :)

I am totally trying this cream cheese-in-scrambled-eggs thing ASAP. Amazing!

And the house – from the front, it actually looks very similar to the house we just bought, built in 1940. I can totally see you doing something like this, it looks just stunning and the way you describe using the outdoor space says that you have already thought so much about it! I love it!

We’ve owned old (and small), and new (and big.) The old had mature trees, gorgeous arched doorways, and character all around. The new has none of that, BUT it does have tons of closet space, a walk-in pantry, and doorknobs that don’t fall off every time you turn them. I have to say, while I do miss the old, I prefer the new. The eggs FTW!

Adorable little place. I am a firm believer that people can (and should) be living smaller). I have European friends who have 2 or 3 children and make small homes work perfectly. A few years ago, I went on a major overhaul and decided that we wanted to be able to pack all of our belongings into a few boxes just incase we decided to move overseas. I tossed out things that weren’t necessary and kept what was functional. Even though we have not moved overseas, and have moved to a bigger house, we live small. Our storage is down to 10 boxes and our living space is minimal but classy and comfortable. I toss out clothes I haven’t worn in 6 months – well I really wear it? If I have not used a kitchen appliance after a year – out. As well the pantry and fridge only have what is going to be consumed within a couple weeks, with the exception of baking supplies. For us it is completely liberating to know we are not living for consuming but rather for experiences, and this is something I think comes from living small but comfortable. You could totally make it work!!

Ps ….. scrambled eggs with cream cheese does rock, doesn’t it? Have a great weekend.

GO! Seriously, downsizing will be worth it, no one needs as much stuff as we use these days. That place has a story and character and your sweet family would be adding to history. Can you tell we want a home with character and a story some day?

What a seriously gorgeous house! Sometimes I want to be forced to downsize and get rid of everything! :) And cream cheese? Totally trying this!