We were finally able to fire up the grill this weekend… and by we I mean my husband – I still have no idea how to use the thing. It doesn’t help that it is missing knobs and ghetto rigged to where only he knows how to turn it on. I’m not feeling bitter about that at all.*ahem*
Did you know that when I first met my husband, he pretty much would only eat two vegetables and that was it… corn and potatoes. From what he tells me, he was a typical Iowa farm kid who grew up on a pretty stringent diet of meat and potatoes. As would be expected, right?
It makes me smile when I hear things like “I could eat only this for dinner and be happy” and the “this” he is referring to is a big bowl of grilled vegetables. Squash, Zucchini, Bell Peppers, Sweet Onions… my meat and potatoes guy would be perfectly happy if I set a big bowl of vegetables in front of him and called it dinner. We’ve come a long way, baby!
Of course, even though I love grilled vegetables, I love to doctor them up sometimes too. Today, we made a Grilled Vegetable Medley and drizzled / tossed them with a bit of Kosher Salt, cracked black pepper and Marzetti Simply Dressed Blue Cheese salad dressing. It was the easiest way to add a little all natural goodness to the fresh, grilled vegetables. The flavor of the Marzetti Simply Dressed Blue Cheese dressing complimented the grilled vegetables perfectly. Such a tasty dish!
As grilling season finally gets under way, remember your grill can serve a purpose other than grilling up a big juicy steak or burgers! Try throwing some vegetables on the grill with a little seasoning and topping off with some Marzetti Simply Dressed dressing (there are a variety of flavors that would totally work with this recipe!). Who knows… you may even decide to skip the steaks next time!
- 1 zucchini sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 butternut squash, sliced into one inch pieces
- 1 sweet onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into 1 inch strips
- 4 fresh Basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Marzetti Simply Dressed Blue Cheese Dressing
- Combine zucchini, squash, onion, bell peppers and fresh basil leaves in a large bowl. Drizzle with 2 tablespoon olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Place on a grill pan We actually use this pan from Pampered Chef Grill, uncovered, over medium-high heat (350º to 400º) for 12-15 minutes, turning once, or until just tender.
- Remove from grill and place vegetables in a heat proof bowl or pan. Sprinkle with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper. Then, drizzle with Marzetti Simply Dressed Blue Cheese Dressing. Toss well.
- Serve hot.
Disclosure: I was hired by Marzetti Simply Dressed to create and share a recipe using their products. All opinions expressed are my own.