Easter Bites {Recipe: Blueberry Mousse Filled Mini Fillo Shells}

Blueberry Mousse Fillo Bites from Dine & Dish

I always like to think of Easter as our official start of spring, but I also remember that each year, I become the biggest sucker around and buy my girls beautiful Easter dresses. You know the ones… the sleeveless dresses, bathed in beautiful pastel colors, created with light and breezy fabric.

In my typical ways, I buy the dresses, take the tags off, then remember I live in Kansas…the land of weather never being what it is supposed to be on Easter Sunday.  I don’t believe my girls have ever experienced searching for Easter eggs without their dresses hidden under heavy coats, mittens and scarves.

Blueberry-Mousse-Bites

Even though our weather in Kansas may not be spring like by Easter, I won’t let that stop me from making spring like dishes for Easter.

These light and flaky Athens Mini Fillo Shells filled with creamy blueberry mousse are the most simple, springlike dessert… easy enough to make, you can get outside to enjoy that frigid Easter egg hunt!

Athens Fillo Dough Shells

Do you have a favorite recipe using Athens Mini Fillo Shells? If so, be certain to stop by their website to see how you can enter to win more than $10,000 in prizes. Enter your  recipe today!

Athens Foods hired me to create a recipe using their Mini Fillo Shells. All opinions expressed are my own.

Blueberry Mousse Filled Mini Fillo Shells

Prep time
Total time

A simple springtime dessert featuring Athens Mini Fillo Shells and fresh blueberries.
Serves: 30 bites
Ingredients
  • 1 Pint fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
  • 4 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 30 (2 boxes) Athens Mini Fillo Shells, thawed
  • Additional blueberries, for garnish
Instructions
  1. Add blueberries and sugar to a blender and puree.
  2. Slowly add whipping cream. Continue to blend for approximately 1 minute or until mixture is stiff.
  3. Spoon or pipe blueberry mousse mixture into Athens Mini Fillo Shells. Top with an additional blueberry.
  4. Serve immediately once filled.

Comments

1. lucy says

I’ll try to prepare this delicious recipe together with my husband. In February he gave me a perfect gift for St. Valentine’s Day – a cooking class for couples organized by Zac’s cooking school here in Vancouver so I’m now collecting interesting recipes to come up with during that course and this one will be a little surprise for our little kids. :)

2. Megan says

Can you make the mousse ahead of time? We are traveling today and was wondering if I could make it at home and pipe them into the shells tomorrow? Thanks!

• says

Hi Megan – I’m sorry I’m just now seeing this. Making the mousse ahead of time would be great. The shells get soggy if you keep the mousse in them for too long unrefrigerated, so making it ahead of time and filling the cups later would be great!

3. Barb says

Welllll, this is THE WORST recipe I have ever tried before – ‘trying it’. I was embarrassed, but, I took it to my husband’s daughter’s “congrats party”, for graduating Nursing School, if for ONLY to have people KNOW that I did TRY to arrive with “a dish”.

I hope someone can fix it and let me know on their “outcome”!

Barb

• says

Barb, Thanks for your feedback. I’m sorry this didn’t work out for you. I’ve made these twice now and they turned out great. When you get a moment can you email me at Kristen at dineanddish.net and let me know more details on why they didn’t turn out? I’d love to see if I can figure out why.
      I’m sorry you had to take a dish you weren’t pleased with. I would never share a recipe that hasn’t had good results for me.
      Kristen

• Barb says

Hi Kristen,

I’m sorry I was so “biting” with my post/comment. I suppose I was just cranky, nevertheless, I apologize for my gruffness.

I am aware that the blender I have is a few years old and perhaps it just didn’t ‘blend’ as well as I thought it did/should. I believe I WILL try the recipe again, hopefully soon, but I will use my processor and achieve the correct results. I’ll keep you info’d!!

Again, I apologize for my earlier “attitude”.

Thanks,