Mornings around our house are usually mass chaos. No matter what I do to try to be organized the night before, mornings don’t seem to change.
In fact, we have a little celebration in the car on the way to school on those rare days where I didn’t have to turn into “raging maniac mom” to get everyone in gear. I’ll say, those little celebrations don’t happen too often. That’s not something I’m necessarily proud of.
So, would you judge me if I told you that sometimes to ease my guilt for yelling, I let my kids have cookies for breakfast? OK, there has been a time or two where those cookies were Girl Scout Cookies, but for the most part, cookies for breakfast around our house consist of the oatmeal banana breakfast variety. I love these cookies because they are easy to make and they are fairly nutritious. When raging maniac mom spends her morning, ahem,
yelling using her outside voice, inside, saying yes to cookies for breakfast seems to erase all that.
Say yes to cookies for breakfast and bring joy back to your mornings…for a moment, anyway.
- 1½ cups quick cooking oats
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup Rice Krispies cereal
- ¼ cup peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- ¼ cup pure honey
- ¼ cup Craisins
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well incorporated.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Place rounded spoonfuls of dough onto the parchment lined cookie sheet. Flatten with a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove and let set for 3 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a cooling rack.