Facebook    Twitter    Pinterest    RSS    Email Updates Spacer 2

A Love Letter for 13 Years

13 Year Anniversary Wedding Picture

There was a time in my life where I wrote prolific love letters… deep and meaningful words spoken from the heart. Then, after a failed first marriage, I came face to face with a box of letters I had written. Each page, raw, real and vulnerable, laid out there to remind me how exposed I had let my heart become through words. I can remember so clearly, sitting on the floor of my bedroom, reading each letter, sobbing at what was and what would never be again and feeling nakedly exposed and so vulnerable.

I was young…really young and was convinced any vision of a happily married life was over. I remember crying to my sister the first time I had to put a check mark on a form asking whether I was “married, divorced or widowed”.  23 and already divorced. Who would want me now?

Thankfully, God had very specific plans for me… the first marriage, the divorce… those and every relationship I had even prior to that led me to the man I ended up marrying 13 years ago today. And you know what? Despite the hurt and heartache each relationship yielded, I would gladly do it all over again if it led me to the man I am now married to. For, because of him, I am eternally blessed.

Photo courtesy of my talented friend, Jennifer of Jennifer Mullinax Photography.

So, to my husband, who has never received a love letter from me, but deserves a box full, I want you and the world to know that I love you more than words can say. You are the answer to my prayers, and each and every day I am extremely thankful that you chose me to be your bride. I love the life we have together… it has not always been rosy, but even through our darkest times, I know that we are meant to be together and that our love is as real as it comes.

Marriage is full of peaks and valleys, I now know that. I’m glad you are there to hold me during both.

Thank you for your patience, your kindness and most of all for being my best friend.

I am ever grateful to have you as my partner in this life. Happy 13th Anniversary!

Comments

1. Susan Licht Salzman says:

Lovely! You are blessed!

2. Susan Licht Salzman says:

Lovely! You are blessed!

3. Sniff. I loved this post. Thank you for sharing, Kristen. Happy anniversary! xo

4. Laurie Nestler Williams says:

Happy Anniversary to two wonderful people! This is an absolutely beautiful love letter which reminded me how lucky I am to have gotten to know you both. But it also made me stop to think how blessed I am in my life and marriage as well! Celebrate your special day today and here’s to many more years of love and friendship ahead – Cheers!

5. Laurie Nestler Williams says:

6. Kathy Essmiller says:

Salads, mom. That was the other thing. He didn’t love salads. But it seems to be working anyway..:-) Happy Anniversary! And great pic!

7. Eat 2gather says:

Elephant tears, snot flowing. Thanks so much for sharing. Happy Anniversary! {hugs}

8. Eat 2gather says:

9. Happy Anniversary!!! This may be one those times you could use the expression everything happens for a reason.

10. Kristi C. (@lov2read68) says:

Happy Anniversary Kristen! Isn’t it amazing how God’s plans work out? It’s usually not in the way or the timeframe that we want or expect. Wishing you many more years to come!

11. Despite the hurt and heartache each relationship yielded, I would gladly do it all over again if it led me to the man I am now married to. For, because of him, I am eternally blessed.

This is my story, too. Married at 19 (no, I wasn’t pregnant!) to my boyfriend of 3 years. Became a mother at 22. Divorced at 23. Remarried to the love of my life and we just celebrated our 24th wedding anniversary. Twu wuv! :)

Happy Anniversary to you and your husband. Here’s to many, many more years of love & laughter.

12. Jackie Clayton Davis says:

Happy, happy anniversary. God has a plan. You both are so blessed to have found each other and created this wonderful family together. Enjoy!

13. Jackie Clayton Davis says:

14. Jackie Clayton Davis says:

Beautiful pictures too!

15. Angie Jerde says:

Wow, what an honest and amazing post. I too had a short lived first marriage, so I can completely relate. God did have a plan for you as well as for me. I will celebrate my 13 year anniversary in a few short months. Many many blessings to you and your family.

16. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28 Happy Anniversary to you and Nick!

17. Happy anniversary to you and your hunny! Your photos then and now just speak so deeply to the love you have for one another – it just radiates.

18. Christy Robinson Davis says:

Congrats on 13 years!! So exciting. Enjoy many more years to come!!

19. Christy Robinson Davis says:

Congrats on 13 years!! So exciting. Enjoy many more years to come!!

20. Christy Robinson Davis says:

Congrats on 13 years!! So exciting. Enjoy many more years to come!!

Share Your Thoughts