A Love Letter for 13 Years

13 Year Anniversary Wedding Picture

There was a time in my life where I wrote prolific love letters… deep and meaningful words spoken from the heart. Then, after a failed first marriage, I came face to face with a box of letters I had written. Each page, raw, real and vulnerable, laid out there to remind me how exposed I had let my heart become through words. I can remember so clearly, sitting on the floor of my bedroom, reading each letter, sobbing at what was and what would never be again and feeling nakedly exposed and so vulnerable.

I was young…really young and was convinced any vision of a happily married life was over. I remember crying to my sister the first time I had to put a check mark on a form asking whether I was “married, divorced or widowed”.  23 and already divorced. Who would want me now?

Thankfully, God had very specific plans for me… the first marriage, the divorce… those and every relationship I had even prior to that led me to the man I ended up marrying 13 years ago today. And you know what? Despite the hurt and heartache each relationship yielded, I would gladly do it all over again if it led me to the man I am now married to. For, because of him, I am eternally blessed.

Photo courtesy of my talented friend, Jennifer of Jennifer Mullinax Photography.

So, to my husband, who has never received a love letter from me, but deserves a box full, I want you and the world to know that I love you more than words can say. You are the answer to my prayers, and each and every day I am extremely thankful that you chose me to be your bride. I love the life we have together… it has not always been rosy, but even through our darkest times, I know that we are meant to be together and that our love is as real as it comes.

Marriage is full of peaks and valleys, I now know that. I’m glad you are there to hold me during both.

Thank you for your patience, your kindness and most of all for being my best friend.

I am ever grateful to have you as my partner in this life. Happy 13th Anniversary!

Comments

Happy Anniversary to you both (a day late). Love works in mysterious ways. I, too, have been in the shoes you walked. All those broken hearts were lessons and the path to the man I love and can call my partner. I believe if there were not dark moments, we would not grow. One cannot live alone pink colored clouds!

This is beautiful. I have teary eyes, happy teary eyes. I love those tears. You two look perfect together and I am so happy you found your joy with him. And thank you for your honesty and love letter. So awesome!

I’m late to the party, but I just have to say how much I love this — and how much I love your wedding look. It was timeless. I’ve been married a year and I hope I can say the same thing when I look back in another 12. :)

Just wanted to say how much I love this post and how much I love your wedding look. It was timeless. I don’t think anyone would ever look at this photo and say, “Oh, that was 1999.”
    I hope that in 2024, no one looks at our photos and goes, “Oh, that was 2011.”
    Happy anniversary!

Time got away from me and I have been meaning to wish you a wonderful anniversary!! You’re a beautiful person and I’m thankful you’re my friend!

Just teared up reading this. What a beautiful and honest post, wonderfully well-written. Congratulations to you and your husband for so many happy years together.

Happy anniversary! What a touching letter. I think that any of us who have gone through deeply heartbreaking breakups wonder what the heck God was thinking…but He always has a plan for us that is far greater than any we could piece together for ourselves. God continue to bless you and your husband (He already has!). xoxo

9. Dine & Dish says

Thank you, sweet friend! You’ve been there to hear our grips and during our happy times! It’s always fun, no matter what, right? Much love to you!

10. Dine & Dish says

Yeah – he only missed one out of 26 and that was to be older than me. He’s only 2 months younger, so I decided to let that one slide ;)