Facebook    Twitter    Pinterest    RSS    Email Updates Spacer 2

Saying Goodbye to a Favorite

I’m sitting here in tears that won’t stop this morning, grieving the loss of a friend I never met. Meet Louise… a long time Dine & Dish blog reader and commenter. I found out this morning through a Google search that Louise recently passed away in her home, at the sprite age of 90.

Louise first commented on Dine & Dish in early 2010. I knew she was nearing 90 and something about her reminded me a lot of my Grandma Sumner. Through the years, Louise and I took our comments to each other off the web and corresponded through email. She was always there for a laugh, a suggestion and comfort during times of sadness. She shared stories of growing up in New York, her love of food and cooking, and the joy her husband, daughter, son and daughter in law, and grandchildren brought her.  She dreamed of returning to New York someday to have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. In my silly fantasy like mind, I dreamed of someday sitting with her in NYC, drinking that frozen hot chocolate together, even chatting with my husband about ways we could make it happen.

Those of you who know me, most likely have heard me commenting about my favorite blog reader….that’s Louise. I feel badly that it took me this long to search to find out why I hadn’t heard from her in awhile… she passed away in September and I just now found out. I wish I would have sent her one last note to let her know how much her presence in my life meant to me. I knew her health wasn’t the best, but just assumed that since she was such a spunky fighter, she’d be around for a long time more.

Anyway, I’m writing this today because I want to let each and every one of you know that your comments DO matter to me. I cherish each and every one of you and appreciate that you choose to spend time on my little home on the web. I am so thankful for technology and the opportunity to forge relationships with people I never would have met otherwise.

THIS is why I blog. This is what Dine & Dish is all about for me… it gives me the opportunity to connect with you, and for that I’m thankful. Thanks for being here.

Comments

1. Marion Mimi Delano Holtz says:

Kristen, I’m so sorry for your loss. Our connections to readers like Louise are so precious…and isn’t it wonderful to find new friends who embrace technology and social media in their 80’s and 90’s! I’m sure your blog and your friendship enriched Louise’s life just as her friendship enriched yours. Yes, this is the best and most important reason for blogging…the people we connect with that we might never have met any other way! YOU are one of those people for me…and I’m grateful!

2. Nadine Osborne says:

I’m sorry you lost a friend, we can never have too many friends, and when we lose one it hurts deeply. I am new to blog reading..I do enjoy them a lot, but I don’t want to be a bother when I don’t have anything in particular to say. I do like to visit with friends, though.

3. Amy W. Johnson says:

I’m so sorry Kristen. What a sweet lady Louise sounds like. And thanks for the reminder to cherish the connections we make with each other. Hugs to you!

4. Louise sounds like such a special lady. I’m so sorry to hear this news.

5. Kristen I am so sorry to hear this. What a special friendship you had that you nurtured and am sure Louise felt the same way. Thinking of you.

6. Julie Mogler says:

How wonderful at 90 you were able to connect with her and she was on the computer! Cherish those comments , memories make it just a little easier!

7. Julie Mogler says:

8. Julie Mogler says:

9. I’m so sorry, Kristen. You searching for her just speaks volumes about the kind heart you have. I’m sorry your search led you to this. I’m so glad you were able to share Louise with us, she sounds like someone we’d all be lucky to have in our life.

10. What a lovely tribute to a lady who sound wonderful- I’m so sorry for your and her family’s loss. She has the loveliest and most inviting smile- I think I’d have enjoyed getting to know her too! Maybe one day you can have that frozen hot chocolate in her memory :)

11. What a lovely tribute to Louise- I’m so sorry for your and her family’s loss. She has the loveliest and most inviting smile- I think I’d have enjoyed getting to know her too! Maybe one day you can have that frozen hot chocolate in her memory :)

12. I’ve been online for over 15 years now and have lost several friends over those years that I never met in real life. Online relationships are just as important as those that you can see and hug. I’m sorry for your loss Kristen, I truly know how you feel!

13. I have a reader who lays sort of low but comes out of the shadows occasionally to say hello. She reads every day. Her name is Charlie and I adore her. It’s funny how much we can connect with the folks who read.

I am so sorry for you loss Kristen. She sounds like such a wonderful woman.

14. What a wonderful tribute to Louise. You’re very lucky to have had her in your life through your wonderfully personable blog. I’m sure she treasured you as much as you did her. I’m sorry for your loss Kristen but I’m sure Louise will still be following along and whispering comments in your ear.

15. Sheila Torres says:

That was a lovely blog you wrote. It showed tremendous love and caring – something missing in today’s world. And, the beautiful thing is, Louise can look down upon you and feel all that love!

16. Oh Kristen ,
    My heart goes out to you!
    And this is the reason why I am drawn to you blog… Your heart is in it! See it shows ;) What a blessing she was , awesome she was communicating through computer at 90! I pray, if I live to 90 that I’ll be learning new things like she did! Awesome! Sending hugs via the web here to you !
    Blessings Girl!

17. I should have read this post before I applied my morning make-up! You have such a beautiful way with words, sweet Kristen. You are such a blessing in my life.

18. Oh Kristen I am so sorry to hear this. We do forge strong relationships with these people that the Lord has brought into our lives. I am so grateful for the technology that has made it possible for us all to grow these relationships we would otherwise not have. I know my life is truly enriched by the people I have met through my own space. I mean- if it were not for you & I meeting the way we did & the impact of our relationship, so many aspects of my life would be different right now. I am so grateful for it all. Thank you!

19. What a sweet tribute to a loyal blog reader. I feel the same about comments. Even though I get relatively few on my blog, each one is a treasure. Just knowing someone thought enough of a post to take their time to write a few words makes the blogging worthwhile.

20. Kristen,
    The web is funny, isn’t it? Anonymous and isolating and yet so full of connections. I’ve never even met you, Kristen, and feel like you’re a friend!
    I’m sorry to read this about Louise. She will surely be missed by her family and friends.
    I really like that you took the time to find out what happened to her. That’s very telling of what a kind and caring person you are.

Share Your Thoughts