Saying Goodbye to a Favorite

I’m sitting here in tears that won’t stop this morning, grieving the loss of a friend I never met. Meet Louise… a long time Dine & Dish blog reader and commenter. I found out this morning through a Google search that Louise recently passed away in her home, at the sprite age of 90.

Louise first commented on Dine & Dish in early 2010. I knew she was nearing 90 and something about her reminded me a lot of my Grandma Sumner. Through the years, Louise and I took our comments to each other off the web and corresponded through email. She was always there for a laugh, a suggestion and comfort during times of sadness. She shared stories of growing up in New York, her love of food and cooking, and the joy her husband, daughter, son and daughter in law, and grandchildren brought her.  She dreamed of returning to New York someday to have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. In my silly fantasy like mind, I dreamed of someday sitting with her in NYC, drinking that frozen hot chocolate together, even chatting with my husband about ways we could make it happen.

Those of you who know me, most likely have heard me commenting about my favorite blog reader….that’s Louise. I feel badly that it took me this long to search to find out why I hadn’t heard from her in awhile… she passed away in September and I just now found out. I wish I would have sent her one last note to let her know how much her presence in my life meant to me. I knew her health wasn’t the best, but just assumed that since she was such a spunky fighter, she’d be around for a long time more.

Anyway, I’m writing this today because I want to let each and every one of you know that your comments DO matter to me. I cherish each and every one of you and appreciate that you choose to spend time on my little home on the web. I am so thankful for technology and the opportunity to forge relationships with people I never would have met otherwise.

THIS is why I blog. This is what Dine & Dish is all about for me… it gives me the opportunity to connect with you, and for that I’m thankful. Thanks for being here.

Comments

1. Debra Hyson says

Dear Kristen,

That was a wonderful post & brought tears to my eyes.
    Thank you for also writing on the blog I created for my mother, Louise.
    Her virtual friends were her life line & a very real part of her day to day life. She would have loved to meet you in NYC for that frozen hot chocolate or anywhere else I imagine.
    She was a wonderful Mother & I always knew I was lucky she was mine.
    Although she has died, she is not quite gone for the family. She is visiting from beyond. She has changed how I view the concept of an afterlife. There is no question anymore in my mind that life goes on, just in a different form. I know my brother & Father have also come to share this belief. Her energy is still with us. She is a powerful force.
    Many thanks to all your readers who share there prayers and thoughts to the family. We really do appreciate it. I will share this the family.
    Debra
    Raleigh, NC

How sad, Kristen, but how wonderful that you were able to get to know Louise. I had a similar situation with my non food blog a few years ago — a lady named Mary also in her 90s. She had a blog as well and was full of life. Because I became less involved with my blog, I missed that she had commented on it one last time before she passed, and never saw it :(. Your blog is wonderful, and I appreciate the work you do here. It’s a lovely place to visit. Hugs to you.

I’m so sorry, Kristen. I know how much Louise meant to you. I know she loved you and your family as if you were her own daughter. You’re a wonderful friend, and your eulogy for her speaks volumes to the quality of the friendship you two shared.

My heart hurts for you, lady. <3 I have a few bloggy friends and while we're not close, I care about them in a special way.

Comments do matter–they let you know you're being heard and have support. While I don't get quite so many in my own blog, they seem to come out of the woodwork when I mention I'm going through a rough time. It's great to know people who never even met you care about you–that you've touched their life and they've touched yours.

Sending much love and positive energy to you.

Oh, Kristen, what a sweet, sweet tribute. I think the connections we make through blogging are the unexpected beauty in all of it. I know it’s why I keep going even when it seems overwhelming or like it’s not going anywhere. The power of your words and your willingness to share are absolute magic. Thanks, friend!! xoxo

It’s so true Kristin – I don’t think commenters can know how much their words mean to us. I even love the crabby ones! So sorry about your friend, but I am guessing you did in fact let her know how important she was just by your connecting with her.

I am so sorry Kristen, she sounds like a kind and wonderful person. It is incredibly true that online friendships can be just as strong and meaningful as face-to-face ones.

8. Pat Wogan says

I tried to comment at the end of your comment section, but Stumble said I had already said it. It didn’t post.

9. Pat Wogan says

What a beautiful and sad story. Louise sounds like a wonderful woman. It’s really amazing how someones life can touch you even though you haven’t met in person. They can be just as strong, if not stronger, than the ones we forge in real life because online we are forced to communicate on a deeper level.

I’m sure Louise knew how much you meant to her.

11. French Kitchen Mimi says

What a lovely and sincere tribute! She looks like a lovely lady. Friendship takes so many different forms. You were blessed to share a friendship in this still very new way, Kristen.

You, the blogging community and Louise’s family and friends have certainly lost a wonderful lady whose presence all around will be greatly missed I’m sure. What a sweet tribute to her and what a beautiful photograph.

13. Marion Mimi Delano Holtz says

Kristen, I’m so sorry for your loss. Our connections to readers like Louise are so precious…and isn’t it wonderful to find new friends who embrace technology and social media in their 80’s and 90’s! I’m sure your blog and your friendship enriched Louise’s life just as her friendship enriched yours. Yes, this is the best and most important reason for blogging…the people we connect with that we might never have met any other way! YOU are one of those people for me…and I’m grateful!