Saying Goodbye to a Favorite

I’m sitting here in tears that won’t stop this morning, grieving the loss of a friend I never met. Meet Louise… a long time Dine & Dish blog reader and commenter. I found out this morning through a Google search that Louise recently passed away in her home, at the sprite age of 90.

Louise first commented on Dine & Dish in early 2010. I knew she was nearing 90 and something about her reminded me a lot of my Grandma Sumner. Through the years, Louise and I took our comments to each other off the web and corresponded through email. She was always there for a laugh, a suggestion and comfort during times of sadness. She shared stories of growing up in New York, her love of food and cooking, and the joy her husband, daughter, son and daughter in law, and grandchildren brought her.  She dreamed of returning to New York someday to have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. In my silly fantasy like mind, I dreamed of someday sitting with her in NYC, drinking that frozen hot chocolate together, even chatting with my husband about ways we could make it happen.

Those of you who know me, most likely have heard me commenting about my favorite blog reader….that’s Louise. I feel badly that it took me this long to search to find out why I hadn’t heard from her in awhile… she passed away in September and I just now found out. I wish I would have sent her one last note to let her know how much her presence in my life meant to me. I knew her health wasn’t the best, but just assumed that since she was such a spunky fighter, she’d be around for a long time more.

Anyway, I’m writing this today because I want to let each and every one of you know that your comments DO matter to me. I cherish each and every one of you and appreciate that you choose to spend time on my little home on the web. I am so thankful for technology and the opportunity to forge relationships with people I never would have met otherwise.

THIS is why I blog. This is what Dine & Dish is all about for me… it gives me the opportunity to connect with you, and for that I’m thankful. Thanks for being here.

Comments

What a lovely tribute to Louise! She obviously got a lot of joy out of visiting your blog and her friendship with you. So nice of you to care and pay attention to your readers! Sounds like she was a sweet lady.

Am a bit weepy because of other stuff, but this touched me deeply. Thanks for sharing, K !!

Rest in peace, Louise. Prayers and thoughts for her family … as they find the best of the memories to pull them through!

Aw love, I am so very sorry for the loss of your friend Louise. I wish that we lived nearer to one another but I suppose that is part in parcel of what you so eloquently wrote…we are connected. All my love and {{hugs}} which are closer than you know. xoxo

Tears. The connection is priceless. Rest in peace dear sweet Louise, beautiful post Kristen. I’m sure she’s smiling down on you reading it.

5. Pat Wogan says

Kris, because I know what a sweet spirit you have, I mourn with you the loss of a friend you never physically met. Keeping in touch with the present day technology is wonderful. I know how close I feel to you every time I read your blog. I am so glad you started it! I think all your readers feel the same way. You are a bright light in many readers’ day! Thank you!

I’m so sorry, Kristen. Whether you met her or not, Louise was still a great friend to you. This was such a wonderful tribute to her.

Not only from this tribute but from your entire blog, you can tell that you truly care about your readers and your purpose for blogging is sincere!

I am certain you meant as much to Louise as she did to you. I’m with you Kristen; forging real bonds with readers and other folks I’ve met through social media has changed my life and some have become true friends; for me that is paramount to anything else.

Take good care.

8. Pat Wogan says

Knowing your sweet spirit, I mourn with you the loss of a friend you never physically met. However, I know how I feel every time I read your blog. I feel very close to you! I am sure you are a bright spot in your readers’ days just as you are a bright light in my life.

Kristen you’re an amazing person. It is obvious that you had a great friendship with Louise since you took the time to find out why you hadn’t heard from her. I love the way we can connect with people we have never met and may never meet because of technology. Sending a hug your way.

Kristen, I am so sorry for your loss. Your friend knows you are thinking of her and have her close to your heart. It comes through in this post, and it seriously brought me to tears. I can feel how much you care for her. I am sure she is sitting in New York right now having her frozen hot chocolate. Hugs to you.

You’re such a sweet friend Kristen! I’m so sorry for your loss. I know you had mentioned Louise to me on a few occasions. It’s such an awesome tool we have these days to be so deeply connected to someone we’ve never met!

I just had a conversation last night at dinner with Allison and her friend, they have become very good friends this year with a foreign exchange student and they were talking about how sad it will be the day she has to go back home. I was telling them how lucky they are today, with the internet and facebook they can stay connected!

Any way, I know your heart is aching for your friend and her family. BIGGGG hugs to you!

I’m so sorry to hear that, Kristen. I totally understand how you feel and it must be hard for you. Having friend is such a wonderful friend, having a true friend is priceless, but I’m sure Louise is in a happy place now.