Facebook    Twitter    Pinterest    RSS    Email Updates Spacer 2

Saying Goodbye to a Favorite

I’m sitting here in tears that won’t stop this morning, grieving the loss of a friend I never met. Meet Louise… a long time Dine & Dish blog reader and commenter. I found out this morning through a Google search that Louise recently passed away in her home, at the sprite age of 90.

Louise first commented on Dine & Dish in early 2010. I knew she was nearing 90 and something about her reminded me a lot of my Grandma Sumner. Through the years, Louise and I took our comments to each other off the web and corresponded through email. She was always there for a laugh, a suggestion and comfort during times of sadness. She shared stories of growing up in New York, her love of food and cooking, and the joy her husband, daughter, son and daughter in law, and grandchildren brought her.  She dreamed of returning to New York someday to have a frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity. In my silly fantasy like mind, I dreamed of someday sitting with her in NYC, drinking that frozen hot chocolate together, even chatting with my husband about ways we could make it happen.

Those of you who know me, most likely have heard me commenting about my favorite blog reader….that’s Louise. I feel badly that it took me this long to search to find out why I hadn’t heard from her in awhile… she passed away in September and I just now found out. I wish I would have sent her one last note to let her know how much her presence in my life meant to me. I knew her health wasn’t the best, but just assumed that since she was such a spunky fighter, she’d be around for a long time more.

Anyway, I’m writing this today because I want to let each and every one of you know that your comments DO matter to me. I cherish each and every one of you and appreciate that you choose to spend time on my little home on the web. I am so thankful for technology and the opportunity to forge relationships with people I never would have met otherwise.

THIS is why I blog. This is what Dine & Dish is all about for me… it gives me the opportunity to connect with you, and for that I’m thankful. Thanks for being here.

Comments

1. Sorry for your loss. I truly believe people enter our lives for a reason. Sometimes we don’t understand why we might bump into these people but then something happens and we realize why we met them. I’m sure she treasured your emails as you did hers.

2. Kim Bowman Wagner says:

I have only followed for a short while, but I am already encouraged, inspired even more to connect and invest in relationships and a just might jump in my kitchen and make that soup you mentioned yesterday – and for me, it takes a big spark to get me in the kitchen to make anything other than a sweet treat. Thanks friend for doing what you do and for being so great at it. I am energized by your writing, your photographs and they way that you are connecting with people. It is all about relationships! Kim.

3. Kim Bowman Wagner says:

4. Aw I’m so sorry :( that’s so sad. I love loyal commenters. What a sweet lady Louise was. Sending hugs and kisses your way!

5. What an impact you made on one another and what a testament to both of you, that you inspired one another in such a unique way. I’m sorry for your loss and impressed by how you influence so many.

6. Joy Lynn Cagle says:

We all have wished for that one more talk, visit or telling that person just how much they have mean’t to you. I believe your “pen pal”relationship was known to Louise, simply with how you took that extra time to have private emails, and mentioning her on your blog. I know her heart was full, just as yours is of a happiness in knowing and having someone you’ve never met “listen” too and being able to share a part of your lives together. She knew. Your tribute to her is lovely, I bet she would have been tickled to know that you devoted a whole story just about you and her friendship that had grown on line. SHE KNEW!

7. I’m so sorry. I’ve had readers disappear from my blog also and have wondered why. :-(

8. I’m so sorry. I’ve had readers disappear from my blog also and have wondered why. :-(

9. VanessaLarson.com says:

You post brought tears to my eyes. What a lovely and touching tribute to Louise and how wonderful that you made this connection. Thank you so much for sharing.

10. So touching! I’m positive she must have known how much she meant to you and also you to her! Hugs to you. I’m sorry you had to lose someone so special.

11. Kristen, I am so sorry. It’s amazing how some people touch our hearts even without us actually meeting them.
    Louise does sound like an amazing person.

12. Wow, I simply adore you for this. My condolences on the passing of your friend.

13. This post brought me to tears….in a good way because it’s so sweet, and because she just has this look in her eyes that tells me she was such a sweet woman.

14. Thank you so much for sharing. You didn’t need to send another note to her – she knew. So many people don’t understand the whole blogging thing. I hope those people read this so that they get a better understanding of why we do what we do. Take care!

15. What a lovely tribute. I’m sorry for the loss of your friend.

16. I am so sorry for the loss of your friend. I hear you. I lost a few readers when i switched names, and I always wonder where they went or why. I searched around a bit, but never found them. Makes me sad. I always hope my readers really know how much I appreciate them. I think you just inspired a post on my site…. ; )

17. Elizabeth says:

Sorry for your loss. We definitely need to cherish our older friends and relatives in our life; they have so much wisdom to share. I bet she cherished your friendship too.

18. I think we’re all in tears now. What a lovely post. You just made her day. I know that. Rest in peace Louise. : )

19. I’ve been saving this post to read at home (rather than on my ipad at work), fearing it would make me cry. :( I didn’t know Louise, but I do know how much I cherish my friendships with all those bloggers I’ve never had a chance to meet. Some are as close as my f2f friends and I know I’d be sick with grief if one passed away. I have similar fantasies about meeting some of those special friends for a weekend retreat. Your post has inspired me to try to make it happen in the next year or two. Life is too short, as you and I both know…

Hugs to ya, Kristen!

Les

20. Lynne Gary Laino says:

Kristen, this is just so touching and sweet and a tribute to the human spirit. Amazing how a vibrant 90 year old reached across the internet to enter your life and make it richer and you obviously did the same for her. Thank you so much for sharing this story and for your wonderful blog.

21. Dine & Dish says:

Thanks, Mom. I need to figure out what’s going on with the comment stuff. It tests fine for me but you aren’t the only one who has had problems. :) PS – got your comment. It did post.

22. Dine & Dish says:

Thank you, Mimi :) I am grateful for your friendship as well!

23. Dine & Dish says:

She was a special person, indeed! :)

24. Dine & Dish says:

It truly does, doesn’t it? I’m thankful we have this way to connect with others!

25. Dine & Dish says:

I appreciate you taking the time to comment, Nadine. I don’t think you’d ever be a bother, but I also totally understand what you say! Even as just a reader, I appreciate you stopping by, commenting or not. Thank you!

26. Dine & Dish says:

Thank you, Denise.

27. Dine & Dish says:

Thank you, Denise.

28. Dine & Dish says:

Thank you, Denise.

29. Dine & Dish says:

I agree – I know she was put in my life for a reason and I cherish that we got the chance to get to know each other! Thanks for your comment, Julie.

30. Dine & Dish says:

31. Dine & Dish says:

32. Dine & Dish says:

You are a sweetheart… I’m glad you are enjoying my little place on the web. It means a lot to have you read and comment, so thank you! Enjoy the soup if you end up making it :)

33. Dine & Dish says: