Family Meetings and Encouraging Words

We sit down and have a family meeting on Sunday evenings. It’s a way for our family of 6 to make sure we are all on the same page for the upcoming week, celebrate accomplishments from the prior week, and more. We assign chores, distribute allowance, plan our weekly menu and share our goals for the week. (I capture it all in my Erin Condren Life Planner… love that thing!)

One thing I’m good at is setting goals. I can set goals all day long… implementing and accomplishing those goals is a different story. As we sit down each week to discuss our goals from the week before, I’ve discovered I’ve passed on that lovely skill to my kids as well. We are all great at goal setting, but tend to fall short of following through and reaching our goals. I decided after several weeks of the same answer of “No” to the “Did you reach your goal?” question, it was time for a change.

After some research on helping kids (and adults) to set and reach their goals, I came up with the following solutions to help us reach our goals:

1. Post goals in an open and accessible space… I keep our meeting notes in my planner, which is fine for me, but not great for everyone else. By posting each of our goals in a central location in our home, we can see them and are reminded of them daily.
  2. Set up systems for accountability… My kids are brilliant narks, and when it comes to goals, that’s a good thing. If Jacob knows Kelly has a goal to read everyday and she hasn’t, he’s going to happily remind her that she still needs to do what she committed to. Same with me and running… they have a crazy way of laying on the guilt if I fail to do what I’ve said I was going to.
  3. Be encouraging… It’s fun to know that other people see you are trying hard to reach your goals and they help you by encouraging you along the way. I’ve started sharing some of my favorite Hallmark cards with my kids just so they know I see them trying hard and know they can do anything they set their minds too! We’ve also set up a jar for the kids to write on slips of paper little things they catch each other doing to reach their goal. At each family meeting, we are reading those slips and drawing one name out for a special prize. Both the nominator and the nominee get the prize, which is a great way to encourage…well, being encouraging!

Goal setting and reaching your goals isn’t always easy… but with the right tools in place and a little encouraging help from your friends, anything is doable!

What are some of the ways you hold yourself and others accountable to reaching their goals? I’d love any ideas you have on how we can make reaching our goals more attainable!

Disclosure: I am honored to be a 2012 paid brand ambassador for Hallmark Life is a Special Occasion. All opinions expressed are my own. For special discounts, product offerings and news about Hallmark, feel free to sign up for their newsletter.

Comments

1. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says

Kristen, family life can be so hectic, it’s important to be reminded of what’s important! So thank you.

Also, I can’t get over how BEAUTIFUL your site is! Love the graphics and the casual elegant feel.

2. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says

3. More Please says

I can definitely relate; in a recent personality test my character strengths were ambitious and innovative. My weaknesses were motivation, follow through, and perserverance. Great combo, huh? Anyway, what I’ve found works for me is setting a goal list, keeping it in my phone, and knowing that I can buy myself a special gift at the end of the time alotted to achieve that goal. The trick here is to keep updating your goal list to maintain progress monitoring and don’t buy yourself other gifts until you’ve really reached that goal. Be true to yourself.

4. Hugo says

Ugh… just the first two sentences of your post make me want to puke. Are you having a family or running an army division? My family never did any of that stuff and we all turned out fine. If you can call posting a comment like this fine…

5. Elzi Briggs says

i love these ideas! jasmine n i strategize but we rarely follow up on what we talk about. and you can always PM or email me about anything! i think it would be fun to be each others’ accountabilibuddy!

6. Maranda Medina says

@[557611497:2048:Elzi] ~ I definitely need it! Especially after being sick for so long…I need to get back in the gym!

7. Elzi Briggs says

okay, let’s do it! sundays are pretty slow for me. i’m usually at work and just screwing around on the net during the day.

8. Kristen Wogan Doyle says

First of all, thank you to you and your husband for the sacrifice. I don’t know how you do it with him gone all the time… kudos to you. That would be so difficult!

So what I’ve found with our family meetings is that my kids are better at keeping it going than my husband and I are. If we forget to have it or forget a part of it, THEY are the ones reminding us. I’m not sure how old your kids are, but maybe you could put them in charge of the meetings. I know my 10 year old could handle it and would love the bit of responsibility it gives him… but your kiddos might be younger.

I love the idea of you two being accountability buddies!

9. Kristen Wogan Doyle says

We’re old school around here too. Well, we use Cozi digitally but for the most part are pen and paper folks! Thanks for the comment, Liz!

10. Maranda Medina says

Kristen ~ Thank you so much for the support!

My kids are 5 and 1. Not quite there yet. But I’m definitely excited to try these things…and to have my accountability buddy @[557611497:2048:Elzi]!