It’s about this time each year that I start to get that uneasy feeling about summer being close to over. We have one month left before my kids go back to school, and I know and don’t like how fast that last month of summer speeds by.
We’re doing an ok job getting through our Summer Bucket List. There is no way we’ll get through it all, but it has been a fun-filled, really great summer nonetheless. I owe a lot of that to being able to focus on some of the activities we created for our summer.
One thing on our list that we crossed off right away and have repeated over and over is making homemade sno cones. Previously we always bought the bottles of sno cone syrup, but this year we figured out how to make our own sno cone syrup at home.
Our most favorite sno cone syrup so far is root beer flavored. Homemade sno cones of any flavor are such a great treat for beating the heat.
What’s your favorite flavor of sno cone?
- 1 cup water
- 1½ - 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons Zatarain's Root Beer Extract
- Bring the water and sugar to a boil, stirring continuously until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the Zatarain's Root Beer Extract, stirring until well blended.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely. Pour desired amount over shaved ice.
- Store and keep refrigerated in glass or plastic bottle. Shake gently before using after storing.