Make Time…

Today is a busy day. I’m headed to Charlotte, NC to speak at the Type A Conference.

In case you didn’t already know… I am not Type A. Therefore, all of my packing, planning, shopping, getting the kids ready for me to be gone for 4 days, etc. is being crammed into the first half of today.

Like most mornings, I woke up early, grabbed my phone in a groggy state and participated in my daily therapy session… a quick glance into my friends lives on Instagram. As I was doing it, I came across a photo and some compelling words from my Instagram friend, Jennifer, of the blog The Divine In Everything. She said one thing in the context of a post that changed the potential pace of my day… she said “a rushed cup of coffee is totally pointless.” That wasn’t even the message of her post, but it is what stood out for me on this day where my mind was running over all the things that needed to be done.

My track was changed… I sat down this morning and slowly and sweetly enjoyed a cup of coffee. More so, I sat down, without the buzz of technology or the clatter of voices… in the quiet…and savored the fleeting moment of calm this morning.

I hope you take the time today to not only smell the roses, but to slow down and savor a moment of your own.

Enjoy.

Comments

Great sentiment!

Funny, when I heard you were going to the Type A conference, my mind went immediately to your impromptu dinner parties and thought, “she’s TYPE B!!!” Haha! Hope they let you in. ;)

Hello Kristen! I am all smiles for the connection and the mention, thank you so much. :) I also want to wish you a really good time at the conference… I think you’ll do super fine by being your not-Type-A self.

Cheers to savoring everything!

Beautiful! I am looking forward to hearing about this conference. I have always been type-A but feel that I get a little less type-A as I get older. Personality fascinates me.

Seriously needed to read that today. I may just go get a coffee after work and take a few minutes to actually taste the dang thing. Amazing how something as simple as reading one of my favorite blogs makes me realize I need to take a bit of mental break! Thank you!

Awesome post – I’m glad that my son is in a summer program – and hubby is working up north – so I have little guilt for getting away to a workshop this weekend in NYC. Yes!!

Thanks for passing on the message you took from Jennifer’s post. We all need a gentle reminder to just sit and breathe every once in awhile. Enjoy the conference as much as those attending will enjoy your presentation. Would love to hear it!

• says

Hahaha – you crack me up! I got back in there and drew, just for you! My regularly nightly draw something routine will return, now that I’m back home :)

I thought of you all day yesterday. Did you give your speech yet?

I wish that I could say that I am not Type A, but you know me well enough to know that would be a total lie. I am just glad that A’s and B’s can still be friends. :)

Wise decision. It all gets done. I’ve learned that. And even if it doesn’t, going away with a smile on your face is more important than the nth detail. I think it’s what I love most about being retired. I savor very small things on a daily basis. It makes me smile. Have a great time!

I was just thinking about this earlier today – when I was in Seattle for BlogHer food I made plenty of time to just sit with a cup of coffee or sit at the park and stare at the water and the mountains. Since I’ve been home I’ve been like a crazy person! I need to make it a priority to make time every day to slow down and appreciate what’s around me…

Even if you are always in groggy condition, it seems you can be able to handle it all. You are a versatile mom and I am proud of you. Good luck to your conference. On the other hand, take some time to relax and unwind.