Happy Hour {Recipe: Whipped Root Beer Float Cocktails}

Fresh out of school and at my first job, happy hour was a regular occurrence. My colleagues and I would leave the stressful day at the office behind and head to the local posh restaurant or bar to unwind and put on our social hats. If we were lucky, our boss and owner of the company would join us and would pick up the tab.

Most often, the evening would end much later than an “hour” from when it started. Laughter, karaoke and getting to know each other past what we saw in a typical office day. In those times, my co-workers were who I spent the majority of my time with and because of that were the people I considered my greatest friends.

Happy hour has changed so much since I was a young twenty something. Working from home and being a mom means other stay at home mom’s are my colleagues. Happy hours no longer happen in posh bars and establishments… instead we greet the end of a long week surrounded by our kids laughing and playing, in lawn chairs under the big tree in our yard. There are no corporate cards, no fancy hors d’oeuvres… just me, my good friends and our kids spilling over with joy into our yard. Pizza and goldfish, juice boxes and cocktails… nothing fancy but in this life of mine, it is perfection.

Choosing my signature drink of the season is a big deal. Last year I often shared an Arnold Palmer with friends. This year, with the discovery of the selection of flavors of Pinnacle Vodka, I can guarantee you my happy hour cocktail of the season will include a concoction made with a Pinnacle Vodka flavor.

After trying the Creme Cake Cocktail last week I couldn’t help but wonder how awesome the Whipped Pinnacle Vodka would be with root beer. It took me a few days, and some seriously difficult recipe testing (insert sarcasm) to figure out what combination would work best for a creamy, cold, root beer float inspired cocktail. Friends, I think I found it… and I’m sharing the recipe below.

Here’s to the many more happy hours to come. Gathering with friends, connecting with others and celebrating together the end of another week “on the right side of the grass”.  Enjoy.

Recipe: Whipped Root Beer Float Cocktails

• 2 ounces chilled Whipped flavored Pinnacle Vodka
  • 1 ounce chilled Bailey’s Irish Cream (or heavy whipping cream)
  • 1 cup cold root beer
  • 3 large scoops vanilla ice cream, divided
  • Maraschino cherries and whipped cream for garnish, if desired
  • (For a non-alcholic version, replace the amount of vodka and Bailey’s Irish Cream with heavy whipping cream)
  1. Place all ingredients but 2 scoops of ice cream and garnish into a blender. Blend until smooth.
  2. Pour blended ingredients into 2 tall milkshake glasses. Add 1 scoop of ice cream into each glass. Garnish with maraschino cherries and whipped cream, if desired. Serve cold.

Comments

• says

So fun! There are so many flavors of that vodka, I might have to make a few to many trips to the liquor store to try out each one. People might start talking ;)

how delicious and refreshing these look! I’m in LOVE with pinnacle’s vodka selection. Finished off a bottle of Cake in less than a week….. don’t judge! It’s just so yummy!

• says

OK… so… there was a group of us but last Friday we finished off two bottles of Cake vodka in one evening. One week would be a record! Don’t judge ;)

Oh wow, can we be virtual office mates? Cause I want to do happy hour with you and these fab cocktails. I’m sure my kids wouldn’t mind Friday fun with yours too ;)

YUM!!!! I think this might have to be the Easter treat for the grown ups this weekend! Thanks for the idea and hope your weekend is terrific :)

Kristen this looks beyond amazing!
    In college we used to go to A&W Rootbeer for floats!
    Love the bright RED cherries!
    Your photos are amazing!
    Happy Easter to you and your cute family!
    xo

I started my Happy Hour Friday posts with a very similar cocktail last year; though with the combination of vodka and root beer we simply called it Vootbeer! I’ve received comments that it’s great with vanilla or ‘cake’ vodka which I’ve never tried but you have obviously taken it to new heights…Cheers!

This sounds amazing and I’m going to ask my mom to make them on Sunday. hehe. I know, I’m a 44 soon to be 45 year old woman but still love my mom making stuff for me. The hubby is our bartender at home so I will be adding this to his recipe box for sure! Thanks friend for enduring the tedious job of trying out the drink till you got it just right, ha! Hugs from Conroe, TX

It IS a root beer week! I recently made a black cow ice cream (the chocolate version of my root beer ice cream from months ago) but have yet to post it. THIS drink, when i saw this on instagram my jaw dropped. I MUST TRY THIS.

A friend of mine used to be a vodka rep, and because of that, he introduced me to sweet tea vodka… I am not so much a vodka person, but making a “drunk Arnold Palmer” out of that and lemonade? Yes please. I didn’t see a sweet tea version on the Pinnacle site (although I did see a cookie dough one, which… are they TRYING to make me into a lush?), so maybe they should get going on inventing that!

• says

The flavors the have are just too much… I keep driving by the liquor store tempted to pull in to pick up another bottle to sample! When they begin to know you by name at the liquor store, it probably isn’t a good thing ;)

Jeremiah Sweet Tea was my drink last summer. So. Good.

I am in SO MUCH TROUBLE after having read this, girl. So much. Because I’m going to be making this time and again… especially since I just happen to have all the ingredients lying around today. It looks absolutely decadent and delicious, and I cannot wait to try it… even if I am sure it will become a weekly thing.