Failure Rebound {Recipe: Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Jelly Glaze}

Food blogging isn’t always pretty…not everything I make comes out in the nice little package I envision when starting a new recipe.

Take this Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Jelly Glaze. I make bundt cakes all the time and think they are one of the most beautiful cakes around. I don’t always blog the cakes I make, but this cake… this cake I had big plans for. My friend Cindy over at Once Upon a Loaf is hosting Project PB&J where she has challenged bloggers to create a baked good of some sort representing the classic PB&J.

Over the weeks I’ve been envisioning a peanut butter bundt cake with a beautiful jelly glaze drizzled over it. What I got was…

This…

Turned this…

What my kids got was an earful of curse words as I swore at the stupid bundt cake pan that held on to huge chunks of my delicious peanut butter cake!

Not so pretty, right?

When life hands you chunked up bundt cake and jelly glaze that has cooled because you’ve been sitting around cussing for to long, what do you do?

You make a parfait, of course! So now, instead of a beautiful Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Blackberry Jelly Glaze, I give you Peanut Butter Bundt Cake & Blackberry Jelly parfaits. Yummy idea turned failure turned rebound success.

Either way you make it, this bundt cake is a PB&J Lover’s Dream. If you are a big PB&J fan make sure to check out the details and prizes surrounding Project PB&J over on Cindy’s blog. I hope you’ll join in on the fun!

Recipe: Peanut Butter Bundt Cake with Blackberry Jelly Glaze

For the cake:

• 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (can sub vanilla extract)
  • 5 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk

For the glaze:

• 1 cup blackberry jelly (or flavor of your choice)
  1. Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 10 inch bundt cake pan. (Take it from me… do this really thoroughly)
  2. In large mixing bowl, combine butter, peanut butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla paste; beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  3. Reduce mixer speed to low. Slowly add flour, baking powder, and salt; mix until well incorporated. Add milk, increase speed, mixing until batter is smooth and incorporated.
  4. Bake at 350 F until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
  5. Cool in pan 15 minutes on wire rack. Carefully remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
  6. For glaze, simmer jelly in a saucepan until liquified. Drizzle warm glaze over cooled cake. Serve.

Comments

Way to be creative with a near-disaster :) My mom used to tell me she loved when her grandma made “mistake cakes”–cakes that came out ugly or broken. She’d slather them with extra icing to make up for it, then give them to my mom and her brothers. I think sometimes mistakes are better in that way

Mmm. Peanut butter cake. I tried a sheet cake recipe from Tasty Kitchen that had a peanut butter frosting. I added chocolate drizzles. *IF* my bundt would work for your recipe, I could glaze with a lightened up version of the peanut butter frosting and then drizzle with your jelly glaze. Too much peanut butter? Is there such a thing? LOL Thanks for sharing and letting me know that I am not the only one that fights with and cusses at my bundt pan.

3. Lisa says

The moral of this story is when life hands you misbehaving bundts, make parfaits! : )
    I think I actually prefer how it turned out, as it just seems more creative and fun; you get a blue ribbon in my book! : )
    (Of course I feel for you — I’m sorry it didn’t turn out the way you’d planned, but really, it’s still awesome!)

Of all the potential kitchen failures, a bundt cake that won’t release from the pan is one of the most heartbreaking. I don’t blame you one bit for unleashing obscenities. I’m sure I would have done the same thing. I love that you turned a failure into a success with a little imagination. And as Donkey so eloquently put it to Shrek, “Everyone loves a pah-fay!”

I would have this over a perfect cake any day! That looks gorgeous! As I like to think, its good to have things not turn out your way from time to time, because with time you realize the alternate is in fact better.

Way to recover! It looks delicious.

I have a buttermilk bundt cake with caramel icing that turns out perfectly every time I make it…except that one time I was supposed to be taking a nice dessert to a wedding reception. Then, it fell in the oven, and only about half of it came out of the pan. Complete disaster! Threw together a quick chocolate sheetcake as a back up. :)

Since I too, have had bundt cakes that just didn’t want to leave the nest so to speak, I love this idea of making a parfait with the glaze!

8. Lora says

I just made this cake without the blackberry glaze and we loved the Peanut Butter pound cake …very moist . Thank you for sharing the recipe.