Connect Through Reading – Fragile by Lisa Unger

I’m not sure what first drew me to the book Fragile, by Lisa Unger. Knowing me it was probably the cover image… I tend to be one who totally judges a book by the cover.

After checking out some of the great reviews of Fragile by my friends on Goodreads, I decided to give this book a go.

Fragile would best be described as suspenseful. The setting is a small town… the plot of a teenage girl gone missing brings back memories from years before when the same town had been shaken when a high school girl disappeared and was later found murdered. The characters weave in and out of the past and the present, bringing the them to face and finally talk frankly about the events that were hidden and not talked about from years before.

Did I love Fragile? Not as much as I thought I would based on the Goodreads reviews. I liked it enough.. gave it a 3 stars out of 5 rating on Goodreads. I’m not disappointed that I read this book at all, but I wouldn’t rate it up there with my favorite books.

Next up for me is Prayers and Lies by Sherri Woods Emmons. I picked this up while on spring break this week and hope to get some reading in while I’m off at the beach. I’ll let you know how I like it!

What have you read lately?

Comments

• says

:) Amy from Mom Advice, one of my favorite people to follow on book recommendations, had really really high praise for this book. I liked it enough… it just wasn’t my absolute favorite :)

Right now I’m in the middle of Beyond Belfast, by Will Ferguson, a Canadian humour writer – my parents got it for my husband for Christmas. It’s the account of Ferguson’s hike of the Ulster Way, a trail that winds through all of Northern Ireland. It’s pretty funny in the nothing-goes-right sense but it’s also got plenty of history (obviously) and interesting bits and pieces.

When my mom suggested getting him this, I said he’d probably enjoy it, not just because he loves Ireland but doesn’t know all that much about the North, but also because he read and enjoyed another book, Round Ireland with a Fridge… about a guy trekking around Ireland with a mini-fridge in tow.

I would have picked that book up as well … I’m a sucker for an interesting cover shot. I may give this one a try, after I finish a few others on my Kindle. I’ll be interested to hear how your newest one is, that one has another cover that would have made me pick it up.

• says

Totally do! It was worth reading for sure I should add that it followed two pretty phenomenal books I had read so my expectations for it were higher than normal :)

3. Dianna says

I’m so excited to read this interesting creation, A book by Lisa unger “Fragile” the title makes me chill and I know the story will touch me by…

• says

I started We Need to Talk About Kevin years ago but didn’t get very far into it. I need to pick it up again. Also, I’ve heard good things about Outliers. How do you like those books so far?

• says

We Need to Talk About Kevin — deep, heavy. The middle of the book was dry, but the ending? Wow. Did I already say deep?

Outliers — FANTASTIC.

• says

Deep and Heavy… sounds good to me :) I want to see the movie but have a rule about finishing the book first. I’ll have to pick it up again. And I am now moving Outliers up on my TBR list. Thanks for the recommendation!

4. Lisa says

(Hiding head) I’ve been reading cozy-mysteries (pure brain-candy), so, nothing I’m going to ‘fess up to reading…. :)

My favorite book of all time: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. I’m just about to start reading Bedbugs by Ben H. Winters. We’ll see how that one is. And I had to read Hunger Games since so many people I know kept telling me to read it. I didn’t think I’d like it, but I did!

• says

Oh Megan… I read Unbroken right before Fragile. Isn’t it amazing? That book really changed my life. Such a good read!
      I read The Hunger Game series, reluctantly, but ended up really liking it. I’m not as crazy about it is other people are, but it was a great series!

Good to know. I saw that red coat in the cover image and was drawn to it immediately. I’ll put it on my ‘maybe’ list. I’m reading “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” right now, then “The Paris Wife” comes next. And Megan, above: Unbroken is my FAVORITE book, ever. I actually got to meet Louis Zamperini last September and I burst into tears when he held my hands, which he did for about 20 seconds. It sounds corny but true! He’s an awesome speaker, and he wears Asics. :)

• says

Jimi – I have heard great things about both of those books! Glad to see you enjoyed them. Have you read The Autobiography of Mrs Tom Thumb? That’s coming up for me and I’ve heard it is phenomenal! In fact, I’m away on vacation right now and have a 2 day drive home ahead of me. I may download it on audio and listen to it that way.

Thanks for sharing your book site! Off to check it out.

• says

I haven’t heard of that, but I’m going to add it to my list. I need to swing by the library today to pick up The Kitchen Counter School by Kathleen Flinn. She wrote The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry. Have you read either of those? I really liked her first book…love combining my two passions (cooking/reading). Enjoy the rest of your vacation. Saw your sunburn on Twitter…yowza.

• says

I love books about food too! Will definitley check those out. Thanks for the recommendations!

The sunburn is awful… a lesson I seem to need to learn every few years because I make dumb mistakes :)

7. Queenie20 says

I am reading now the Prayers and lies.. I am sure that will gonna love this too! :) I really love reading books like this.. It has a very undetectable ending.. :)