The SoupaPalooza linkup beings tomorrow and I am so ready! I thought and thought about what kind of soup to share with you for our second annual #SoupaPalooza. At first I was thinking I wanted to share some kind of French Onion soup. Then, after spending a few days last week with a sick kid, I thought a comforting Chicken Noodle Soup would be good. Finally, a shift in thinking occurred when I noticed my kids gobbling up broccoli night after night at dinner. It was then I remembered that I have never introduced them to the goodness of Broccoli Cheese Soup!
Is there a more perfect soup than a hot bowl of cheesy broccoli soup? I’m sure this could be easily up for debate, but for me, Broccoli Cheese Soup tops the list as one of my faves.
The recipe I use comes from an old church cookbook that I have hung onto through the years. It is a simple soup recipe with so much flavor… you are going to love it!
If you know me at all, you understand that soup without bread is a sin… so… I whipped up a batch of the most delicious Whole Wheat Cottage Cheese Rolls from the Red Star Yeast website! Since Red Star Yeast is my favorite yeast to use, I was thrilled when they jumped on board as a SoupaPalooza sponsor. They have so many recipes on their website, with clear instructions for use with a bread machine or by hand. The Whole Wheat Cottage Cheese Rolls were so soft and tender and the entire batch was gone before sunrise the next morning. We loved them that much! Make sure to check out the recipe on the Red Star Yeast website and browse around for other great bread recipes to pair with your soup!
While you’re browsing recipes… make sure to head over to the TidyMom blog and check out Cheryl’s Creamy Bacon Potato Soup. I wish I had a bowl to spoon up right now!
Before I share the Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe, just a quick reminder that tomorrow kicks off the 2nd annual Soupapalooza! Cheryl of TidyMom and I along with our sponsors would like to invite YOU to share up to two of your favorite soup, stew or chili recipes!! New posts, old posts, non-bloggers, bloggers… everyone is invited! Just click here if you need more information on how to join in on the 2nd annual SoupaPalooza linkup! There are some fabulous prizes to be won and you have a week to link up your recipes!
Recipe: Broccoli Cheese Soup (Adapted from the Sacred Heart of Shawnee Cookbook)
- 1 Tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli florets
- 1/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
- In a small skillet, heat 1 Tablespoon butter. Add onions and saute until tender. Set aside.
- In a large stock pot, whisk together 1/4 cup butter and flour over medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Continue stirring while adding the half-and-half cream. Whisk in the chicken broth and continue to simmer over medium-low heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and cooked onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in Allspice, ground cloves, salt and pepper. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted. Ladle into serving bowls and top with shredded Parmesan cheese if desired.