Our Favorite Cutout Sugar Cookie Recipe

It just dawned on me that of all the years I’ve been blogging, I have never shared our absolute favorite recipe for cutout sugar cookies. I think the reason is, I never have an end picture. Either it’s dark by the time we are totally done decorating or we’ve eaten them all already, but for some reason, this recipe has never graced the pages of Dine & Dish.

You are ok if I share the recipe with you without an end picture, right? Will you take my word that this recipe yields sweet, buttery, perfectly soft sugar cookies? Actually, I do have an end shot in this post for Milk and Cookies Cocktail that I created for Simple Bites. Looks good, right?

I can’t take credit for this recipe. Long before I started Dine & Dish, I hung out over at AllRecipes and Recipezaar (now Food.com). This was one of the first cookie recipes I tried from AllRecipes and it is our go-to cutout sugar cookie recipe each holiday season! If you need a solid cut out sugar cookie recipe, you can’t go wrong with the one I’m sharing today. Happy baking!

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies (From AllRecipes)

• 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and salt. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour (or overnight).
  2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Roll out dough on floured surface 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter. Place cookies 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake 6 to 8 minutes in preheated oven. Cool completely.

Comments

1. Merry Lu Pasley says

Nice pictures, Kristen, I’m sure there’s going to be some happy cookie monsters in your home tonight. You’re causing me to have an itch to get in the kitchen and start baking. My favorite sugar cookie recipe is “Mary’s Sugar Cookies” from page 18 in the Betty Crocker Cookie Cookbook – I’ve been using it since I got my first cookie cutters for my 7th birthday. It uses powdered sugar instead of granulated.

Look so good- I can never settle on one recipe & as a result, I always end up making a new one each time & being disappointed. I will have to give this one a go.

I think sometimes this is the best part – rolling out the dough and cutting out the cookies. Well, now wait a minute. I kinda like the eating part too. Thanks for sharing another holiday recipe!

We all have our favorite recipe for making cookies…mine came from an old cookbook called Make It Now, Bake It Later. It was more a butter cookie than sugar cookie. Will definitely try this recipe next year!

I love sugar cookies! I am halfway through my 12 Cookies of Christmas recipes, but I am looking for a sturdy sugar cookie to do an hor dourve recipe for a few weeks from now.
    This one might be great! I will let you know if it works. : )

Yes please!! I was wondering where those cute little cookies on your holiday cocktail came from. Fun recipe and tutorial, lovely photos.

What’s not so fun is that I keep trying to Pin this and Pinterest is giving me the old 502 error. Grrr.

I always have trouble making cut out cookies but they are the most fun to make with my nieces and nephew. I will save this so we can give it a try next time!

It is so fun to read about everyone’s favorite cookie recipes. I will dash over to Simple Bites to see the finished product…love these photos though.

1. [...] full blast? Great. Here we go! You are going to nail that Christmas Cookie Swap with this roundup.1. Classic Cutout Sugar CookiesClassic Cutout Sugar Cookies (via Dine & Dish)Classic Cutout Sugar Cookies – these are the [...]

2. […] I have been hanging on to this dessert recipe to share with you for a few weeks now… not because it isn’t good. These rich and moist brownies are actually really amazing, especially with the creamy chocolate frosting and chopped Diamond walnuts. The reason I haven’t shared this recipe with you yet was because I didn’t want it to get over shadowed by all of the Christmas goodies being shared around the web. Although I would love to eat brownies just about any time of year, they just don’t quite fit into the traditional holiday baking mold like say, eggnog desserts or cut out sugar cookies. […]