Room to Breathe {Recipe: Red Beans and Rice}

You may have noticed I was a bit grumpy last week. I would share the reason why with you, but it is long and drawn out and involves a 5 year old screaming hysterically all the way to school and to her classroom about a water bottle. That’s how I started my birthday and it basically set the tone for the rest of the day.

Anyway, the next morning I left for a trip with Bush’s Beans to the most beautiful Paws Up resort in Montana. It’s amazing what a little bit of this…

and this…

can do to help you gain perspective.

I guess I just needed some room to breathe, and I thankfully found it in the hills of Montana.

I can’t wait to share more about my trip to Montana with Bush’s Beans with you, and I will very soon. I have a ton of pictures to edit and recipes to share! In the meantime, enjoy one of my favorite recipes for Red Beans and Rice.

Recipe: Red Beans and Rice

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 3/4 chicken broth
  • 1 (15 ounce) can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (I prefer Bush’s Beans)
  • 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (I prefer Bush’s Beans)
  •  1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 teaspoon Creole seasoning
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
  • 4 cups hot cooked rice
  1. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and heat through.  Saute celery, onions and garlic until tender. Add broth, beans, Italian seasonin, red pepper flakes, Creole seasoning and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  2. Remove about 1-1/2 cups of bean mixture and mash. Return to skillet. Add sausage; bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes or until bean mixture reaches desired thickness. Serve over rice.

Comments

We all deserve grumpy days…especially when a screaming child is involved. You are a beautiful person…inside and out. And, your pictures are beyond beautiful…I mean, you even made beans and rice look pretty! Who does that? You, of course! :)

Boy have I been there before…

Just *looking* at those pictures drew a deep delicious sigh from my chest. Ahhhhhh.

Glad you had such a wonderful time, can’t wait to see the photos!

Ahhhhhh parenting . . . as much as we love our kids, i think it’s days like those that could be used as birth control for any teenager who thinks having a baby is terrific fun . . . i’m really glad you took this trip Kristen – it’s good to have some breathing room with great friends, good food and open spaces!

Yes…room to breathe. That’s exactly what we need every now and then.

Love this simple bean recipe, I can eat up a nice bowl of that with no problem. :)

Loved spending time with you…hugs.

It is always nice to hear that other Mum’s have a hellish time with tantrum throwing kids over things that just do not matter.
    Getting ‘away’ from it all for a breather is the best thing to do.
    I love the bean recipe. Simple and nutritious. We eat a lot of beans here. Can’t get Bush’s but they are still very good.

I’m so sorry your birthday started out crummy but I am so glad it ended with a wonderful trip. I can’t wait to hear about details. :)

My husband loves red beans and rice and I have been searching for a great recipe for a while. I cannot wait to try this one out!

7. Amy Kempf says

The recipe looks great~
    Love the photos you took. Going out and being in a place that looks like that does give you a boost we all need from time to time.

I know very well how a child’s tantrum can start a day off all wrong. I can see why that Montana air made things better!! These beans sound fabulous, and perfect for the colder weather.