Birthday Muffins {Recipe: Simple Pumpkin Muffins}

Pumpkin Muffins

Today is my 38th birthday.

For my birthday I woke up and made muffins. Not fancy muffins. Not whole grain, unprocessed, good for you muffins. Plain and simple pumpkin muffins that use a boxed cake mix.

I’ve felt like life has been so out of control lately… that I have been out of control…so I wanted to get up and start my 38th birthday with something simple, while enjoying that fleeting moment of “I got up and baked my kids muffins for breakfast” mom success. That feeling lasted about two and a half seconds, then things went back to feeling out of control.

I am bound and determined that 38 is going to be my year. I am going to find the me that seems to have vanished a few years ago with the birth of my fourth baby. I’m going to return to being organized, develop more patience, and have more fun. All in all, I just want to feel like me again… not this raging crazy person that seems to have inhabited my body.

Birthday’s are a good thing, right? They give us a chance to reevaluate where we’ve been and plan the direction we are going to choose for the year to come. My choice has been made and 38 is going to be a great year. Hope you’ll stay along for the ride.

Recipe: Simple Pumpkin Muffins (as given to me by my friend Ashley)

• 1 Spice Cake Mix
  • 1 16 ounce can pumpkin
  • 1 cup water
  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Place the dry cake mix, pumpkin and water in a large mixing bowl. Mix until well incorporated.
  3. Pour the batter into muffin tins sprayed with Pam.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpicks in the center come out clean.

Comments

1. Pat Wogan says

I hope you take time to read all of these comments! You are a resilient person and you are so loved and blessed. In fact, there used to be a saying, “Lord, give me the strength to endure my blessings!” Remember, the way to eat an elephant is one bite at a time…! Love you, and this is the first day of the rest of your life. ( I am just full of platitudes, aren’t I?)

Maybe part of reclaiming you will be in making a simple box mix of muffins for your family and giving yourself just a bit more time to work on the other stuff. The ‘you’ stuff. I think we pressure ourselves WAY too much and our families really won’t mind (and I wonder if kids would even notice) a muffin mix…it’s still being made by mom and that’s all that counts. They have you. Happy Birthday and how about a ‘YOU go girl!’

3. Melissa says

Mmmmm!! Simple yet delicious!! I’m gonna make some this weekend!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! HOPE YOU HAD A WONDERFUL DAY!!

4. Phyllis Clark says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! God made you the way that you are and that is why you are so wonderful. Love and embrace your life. Relax and enjoy the ride.

It will get better – I felt the same way after my third was born. There were whole days that went by when I realized I hadn’t even looked in a mirror I was so crazy. Now they’re all in school, I started culinary school, and I feel like my life if right where it should be. Wishing you peace and so many blessings this year! Happy Birthday!

Happy Birthday! Mine is next week…….

And don’t worry – the you you remember is still in there, just waiting for the right moment to come out. My youngest of 3 boys is now 12, and life has been much calmer now for the past few years.

So hang in there and try to squeeze a bit of time for yourself every so often!

7. Elle Hyson says

Kristen my dear, Happy Birthday a date late as the email came today – things will be much better as the year goes on, take it from the old lady. Chin up, shoulders back and delight in all your blessings.

I hope you had a wonderful birthday, Kristen!! I had my 34th last month, and made many of the same resolutions. This is going to be a great year!!

9. Laurie says

Of course I read this after our chat while walking to the parade, and I agree, this is going to be your year! You are a wonderful mom, wife, sister, daughter and friend, and I’m wishing for nothing but the best for you and your family in the year, and years, to come! Happy Birthday!!

I have these same muffins on my to-do list! Nothing wrong with something simple and delicious – with a few key convenience ingredients thrown in! ;)

You will have the best year ever, I am sure of it!

11. Sammie Q says

Happy Birthday to someone who brings me joy every day. You bring delight to someone you will probably never meet. What a blessing that is. Have a great day.

12. Jennifer @ Mother Thyme says

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday! I just LOVE this recipe. I wish I had some spice cake mix in the pantry right now I would whip up a batch to have tomorrow morning with my coffee! I got spice cake mix on my grocery list now, so I’ll be making these soon! Enjoy your day!!