Happiness Report #13 – Affirmation, Music & More

It’s time for another happiness report. I’m going to be honest here… I haven’t had a completely happy time of things lately. I guess I’ve never had a close family member die before, other than a grandparent, and I am surprised at how hard the grief from losing my brother is hitting me. My heart aches in a way that I haven’t experienced in a really long time (which means I am so blessed, right? It has been many, many years since I’ve felt this kind of heartache.)

Through this experience, I am trying even harder to find happiness in the little things. What’s listed here today may not seem like much, but even the smallest of joys in times like these can make a huge impact.

Leah, my 2 year old, is slightly obsessed with herself. Recently, she has taken to carrying this mirror around, looking into it, and saying “Leah pretty”. It makes my heart melt to see her loving herself so much. Wouldn’t it be nice if we all had that kind of positive attitude about ourselves?

Shannon CurtisThanks to Pandora (which I love) I recently discovered music artist, Shannon Curtis. If you like soulful, beautiful music that really makes you feel, then you will love Shannon Curtis. Her album Boomerang & Seesaws is amazing and I love every song on it. Make sure to check her out!

Speaking of music, I got so tired of being without music in my bedroom / bathroom that I got rid of my clock radio that I’ve had since high school (which was a looooonnnnggg time ago) and finally got a docking station for our bedroom. It’s funny how such a simple change can bring daily happiness!

Pumpkin Spice Latte

Don’t tell my Keurig, but I had a one day love affair today with Starbucks. I had to get my annual Pumpkin Spice Latte fix… nothing says Fall like the first Pumpkin Spice Latte of the season and fall makes me very happy!

That’s it for now, my friends. Thanks for stopping by! I hope you’ll let me know what’s been making you happy lately. Take care!

Comments

Kristin, I always love to read your happiness reports. Leah & her mirror are precious. I have never heard of that singer, but I will be in the lookout for her CD now :) Hang in there friend. I know you have been sad. Perhaps a few more pumpkin lattes will help ease a tiny bit of pain.

I applaud you for being able to create a happiness report when happiness is probably one word you wouldnt use to describe this time in your life. That first photo of Leah literally melted my heart, its a beautiful photo and such a meaningful sentiment that goes with it, if only we could all be like her indeed :)

3. Connie says

I just found out I’m about to have my very first angel-grand-daughter. Now that’s no small HAPPY! My two grand-sons can’t wait to welcome their new cousin in February 2012. Love and best wishes to all.

Your daughter is scrumptious and I am so thrilled to hear that the pumpkin spice latte is in season once more. I’m also sorry for what you’re going through. I went through it earlier this year and I promise it will get easier and make you a better person.

I’m happy that we’re using the duvet for the first time this fall but we’ve still got the windows open, so the temperature under there is PERFECT. Cozy with the need for coziness.
    Bad zombie movies from Japan (Wild Zero) and good zombie movies from Norway (Dead Snow) are also making me happy right now.

And I’m happy for you that you can find some small pieces of happiness these days.

That photo of Leah looking at herself in the mirror is just brilliant! I hope she keeps that positive self image her whole life..:) it’s typically the little things that make ne happy: the first smell if autumn, a really good coffee ( I want that spice latte!) or a really good meal with loved ones..

I’m late to this, but just wanted to say that I loved your list of little things. It is so hard to see these things when you’re feeling so sad, but I think it’s wonderful that you could find these things to list. And your husband’s reply made me smile too. Very sweet.

Cheers to pumpkin lattes!! I’m so happy that autumn has finally arrived here. :) Bring on the hoodies, warm drinks, and cozy moments around the fireplace. Praying for you and your family today. Still thinking about you all often…

Thank you for introducing me to Shannon Curtis. I’m always looking for a good female soulful voice. I can’t get enough Adele lately. She makes me sing and makes me cry.

I’m glad you are finding happiness in simple things. It’s a challenge sometimes. Your daughter and her obsession with herself is adorable. Absolutely adorable.

10. More Please says

Thanks for sharing such a personal account, it’s very touching and affirming of our shared happiness and sorrow. And Leah IS pretty!