Admit It {Recipe: Bite Size Pumpkin Funnel Cake Crispies}

Growing up, we used to frequent the restaurant Long John Silvers on occasion. I used to love going in and getting a token for the treasure box, running around with my cool pirate hat on, eating the hush puppies and…. I’ll admit it… eating the little “crispies” you’d find in the bottom of bag of battered fish. You know, the fried batter crispies? Those were the best.

I guess things haven’t changed much. It has been eons since I’ve been to a Long John Silvers, but I still remember those tasty little fried crispies like it was yesterday. Mmmmmmm.

Who doesn’t love fried batter? I’m sure there are some of you who might not particularly care for it but I would wager a guess that a lot of you like to indulge in a fried treat every now and then. Not often, but every once in awhile…

Speaking of fried goodies, I love funnel cakes. I don’t love funnel cakes for the bready, doughy, sugary goodness in the middle, but for the crispy sweet edges. Like my Long John Silver “crispies” I have a particular love for the crispy parts of funnel cakes.

I shared a funnel cake recipe a couple years ago on my blog. This time, I decided to use up some of the canned pumpkin I had left over from making a couple of bundt cakes and gave the funnel cakes a fall update. I decided to also turn these into mini, bite size pumpkin funnel cakes – or pumpkin funnel cake crispies, if you will. If you are willing to admit you are a fan of “crispies” then I promise you, you’ll love these treats.

I’m sharing this on the I’m Loving It Roundup on TidyMom.

Little miss…waiting patiently for mama to finsih with the pictures!

Recipe: Bite Size Pumpkin Funnel Cake Crispies

• 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin
  • 3 1/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • vegetable oil, for frying
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  1. Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla together and then add the milk slowly–beat. Add the canned pumpkin, continue to beat until ingredients are well blended.
  2. Add the dry ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.
  3. Pour batter into a squeeze bottle or funnel (I used one of these)
  4. When the oil becomes hot, squeeze the batter into the shape you want your mini cakes to be (I only do one at a time)
  5. Move the funnel around to make designs – if you are super creative you can write things, make special designs, etc.
  6. Brown on both sides…which for minis took about 30 seconds on each side. Remove from hot oil and drain on a dry paper towel.
  7. In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and cinnamon. Using a sifter, sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture over the funnel cake crispies.

Comments

1. Tara @ The Butter Dish says

Being Disney freaks in my house funnel cakes are a minor (huge) addiction.
    I even bought a funnel cake maker.

Making them with pumpkin is nothing short of pure genius!!!!

2. Sam says

Oh my dear GOD. Just look at them. My mind just melted. Sometimes you just want something now. And hell i want it now at any cost. And your kids are soooo sweet. Love this post.

I love these. I’m so a funnel cake fan. When the state fair is going on a few blocks away in the summer I send my husband there to buy dessert at night on his motorcycle, returning home with fresh funnel cakes for me. I’m excited to try a pumpkin version!

4. jewel says

All of these pumpkin posts are making me very hungry and happy for fall!I also love the one of your little girl just staring at the goodie!I’m excited to try a pumpkin version!

First off I read about Long John Silvers and now I want to go!! I havent been in forever and I loved there food! So I might try and go this weekend!!!! On the other hand I so want to try these pumpkin funnel bites!! They would be so much fun to do and have while Im home for fall break with my family!

6. Alicia says

Oh my goodness, I love the Long John’s crispies! I always ask for a basket of those and they give them to you free of charge. I like to put the malt vinegar and ketchup on them, mix, and then eat with a fork. lol These look great! I just stumbled across your blog this morning and I am loving it!

I am making these little lovelies right now!!! Slightly confused though, you mention 2 different quantities of salt. Is it 1/2 t. salt and 2 t. something else? I am worried about missing an important ingredient. :)

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I’ll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. All the best.pretty valuable stuff, overall I think this is worthy of a bookmark, thanks

You certainly have some agreeable opinions and views. Your blog provides a fresh look at the subject.Have you thought about introducing some social bookmarking buttons to these blogs. At least for google.I really appreciate articles on your site. You’re doing a fine job! Thanks a lot. :)

9. Jennifer says

I can’t say I like the crunchy crispy parts… My favorite is the chewy parts. But I LOVE pumpkin things. Maybe I can make them bigger and they’ll be chewy? Any tips on how to make them so they’re not 100% crunchy so I can have some chewy pumpkin goodness? (P.S. I have to eat softer things because of my jaw… I might prefer the crunchy parts if they didn’t irritate my jaw so much…)