Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie with Biscoff Cookie Crust – for Mikey

peanut butter pie

I collapsed into bed, exhausted. Dealing with my brothers illness has taken a toll on me I never expected. When a family member is dying I’m discovering there are a lot of eggshells to be walked on. Am I doing enough? Am I intruding? Am I annoying them calling and checking on things when in reality I hadn’t called and checked on things all that much before he was sick? Will what I’m attempting to do be seen as genuine or as a last minute attempt to be at peace with our relationship? Do you want me around? Do you not? Can I help? Please, what can I do to help? What is the right thing to do?

I haven’t been myself this past month, and I know it. I’ve been flighty and distant and bitchy. I’ve shirked responsibility and have taken retreat into my house when I haven’t felt like dealing with being “on”. So, when I collapsed into bed, spent and worn out and my husband asked me to rub his neck, I sighed, made an unloving remark, turned over and went to sleep.

The one person I love the most in the world – more than my children, more than my brother, more than anyone else – is the one person I’ve been taking for granted. That hit me harder than ever when I woke up to find this tweet on Twitter from blogging friend Jennifer Perillo:

Her husband, the father of her two precious children, had suddenly collapsed and had died from a heart attack. He was gone. The reality of how quickly a loved one can be taken out of our lives hit me hard. What if it were my husband? Would I have regrets about how I had treated him recently? You bet so. I’m lucky enough to have another chance.

It pains me in the worst way that Jennie and her family has to endure what they are going through in order for the rest of us to be reminded to hug our loved ones. Not today, not tomorrow, but now. Now is all we have and tomorrow could be too late.

Through a heartfelt post, another reminder to us all of how raw this time is, Jennie asked us all to join together by making a peanut butter pie in Mikey’s honor. So a pie is what I made…and what hundreds of other bloggers have made… as a simple reminder that life is short. Savor each other, savor the moments and as a tribute to one another love each and every day because it could be the last.

This happens to be another 6 ingredient or less dessert recipe. Have you shared your 6 ingredient or less dessert recipe for the chance to win a $600 American Express Gift Card? If not, head over to my Creamy Biscoff Pudding post now to enter the giveaway.

Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie with Biscoff Cookie Crust for Mikey

For the crust:

• 1 package of Biscoff Cookies (approximately 32 cookies)
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 8 Tablespoons melted butter
  1. Place Biscoff cookies into a food processor and process until fine crumbs have formed.
  2. Add granulated sugar and melted butter. Mix until well combined.
  3. Press into a 9-inch pie plate.
  4. Bake in a pre-heated 350° oven for 8 minutes.
  5. Remove from oven and cool completely.

For the ice cream:

• 4 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup salted peanuts
  1. In a mixing bowl, mix ice cream and peanut butter together on medium speed until combined.
  2. Spoon ice cream mixture into cooled pie crust.
  3. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped peanuts.
  4. Freeze overnight. Remove from freezer 10 minutes before serving.

Comments

Beautiful. Just absolutely beautiful. Every one of us should be reminded of how precious and fleeting life really is. hug your loved ones as close as possible. Right now.

You have been dealing with so much… I can only imagine that moment when you found out that a friend was going through the worst possible situation. I hope you know that you are loved and that you are prayed for. You and all your family.

Be blessed-
    Amanda

Kristen, this is painfully honest. I know exactly the questions you are asking and the feelings you are feeling surrounding your brother and the family. But no matter what, you are doing the right thing.
    Hugs for everyone. And hopefully both you and your husband get a neck rub.

Your post gave me chills. You have an amazing way with words, and I love your honesty. Thank you for reminding me to enjoy all of life’s moments even more and to make sure that I appreciate all of the big and small things about those whom I hold most dear in my life.

I agree with Amanda, you have been dealing with tons. I can only imagine how hard it is and I think the questions you’re asking are very normal. I’m thinking about you and all of my friends who are going through a similar situation. My heart goes out to your family and to Jennie’s family.

I’m so sorry to hear about your brother Kristen, I can only imagine the stress you must be carrying right now. And you still took the time to make a pie for Mikey, I love that.

so eloquently and authetically written. your honesty is heart felt and pain is felt. I am so sorry about your brother…not fun, at all! I met Jennie once, but I liked her. I feel for her as well. I need to go and make a peanut butter pie and give all of the boys in my house a big hug.

i never know which is worse: unexpected tragedy or when you see it coming. then i try to remember, it’s not a contest. there is no “worst,” only stuff that we have to deal with differently.

and how we respond is no contest, either. or, more accurately, there’s no right or wrong way. i come from an irish family, where we keep our emotions bottled up until they erupt inappropriately, usually at a wedding or major holiday gathering. not going to claim it’s the right way. but to paraphrase Oscar Wilde, all human emotion is legitimate, in it’s own way, and experiencing it might hurt but it’s part of the human equation.

thanks for sharing.

This has shaken everyone to the core and I’m so blessed to be a associated with a group of people that is so supportive to their friends. Very humbling!

Beautiful, beautiful post. I am so sorry about your brother. My husband was in a horrifying accident a few years ago, and I thought for sure we had lost him. It was terrifying. I am sending my best thoughts to you and your family. Thank you for this delicious pie recipe. Hang in there. <3