Leftover Bread {Recipe: Bread Machine Challah}

Challah BreadI see recipes all over the web that call for leftover or day old bread. Bread puddingFrench toast, homemade croutons… I bookmark these recipes, thinking someday I’ll make them.

The problem is my family doesn’t seem to know what leftover bread or day old bread is. It doesn’t exist. I make bread, I serve bread, we eat bread until it is all gone. Homemade bread isn’t something that we savor or get the luxury of enjoying day after day. My family is a bunch of bread eating crazies…we love our bread. Sometimes I pull it out of the oven, it cools for a few minutes and it is gone before I can serve it with dinner. It’s drastic around here, seriously.

Challah is one of my favorite breads to make and to eat. This slightly sweet bread with a tender, crispy outer crust doesn’t last long in our house. I imagine Challah does go perfectly in bread pudding or French toast. I hear it also makes some pretty darn tasty homemade croutons. Try a loaf and see… can you make Challah last longer than a day in your house?

Have you entered your recipe for the chance to win a $600 American Express gift card? Head over to my Biscoff Pudding post and share your favorite 6 ingredients or less dessert recipe for the chance to win!

Recipe: Bread Machine Challah (Slightly adapted from Betty Crocker.com)

• 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon warm water
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 1/4 cup bread flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 tablespoons cold water
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  1. Place all ingredients except egg yolk, cold water and final 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt into your bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
  2. Select Dough/Manual cycle.
  3. Once dough cycle is complete, Grease large cookie sheet. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each third into 13-inch rope. Place ropes side by side; braid ropes gently and loosely, starting at the middle. Pinch ends to seal; tuck ends under braid. Place on cookie sheet. Cover and let rise in warm place about 45 minutes or until double. (Dough is ready if indentation remains when touched.)
  4. Heat oven to 375ºF. Mix egg yolk and cold water; brush over loaf. Sprinkle with remaining Kosher salt. Bake about 25 minutes or until golden brown.

Comments

Our household is exactly the same – homemade bread warm from the oven is just heaven and I’ve been known to devour half a loaf in one sitting! I always bake two loaves at a time now so sometimes we have a little left over for breadcrumbs or garlicky panzanella…don’t this this recipe of yours would last long though, looks divine.

Oh yum – this looks delicious. I’ve tried to make challah once — dismal failure. But, I’d like to try again at some point.

It definitely would be great with french toast!

3. Lisa says

Lovely! Thank you for sharing. What do we do with the 1 1/2 tsp. of salt? You mention to leave it out in the first step and then add the remaining salt in the last step. Thanks!

• says

Ooops – sorry, Lisa! The 1st 1 1/2 teaspoons salt gets added to the bread machine. The final 1/2 teaspoon gets sprinkled over the top of the bread. I’ve adjusted the recipe! Thanks :)

What a perfect looking loaf of challah! Yeah, my family is crazy about bread as well. The 4 of us can finish a loaf in a day with no problem! LOL….that’s why I usually make 2 or 3 loaves at a time! I have the recipe to make the bread stays soft and fluffy even after a few days (very amazing). That way I can make multiple loaves in a day and enjoy bread for the next 2 days without more kneading! :)

This sounds so good and is so appealing to the eye, we would eat this up too. We don’t have any problems having day-old bread here either. I could live on bread!

We are the same way here with bread!!

Do you know I got rid of my bread machine about 2 years ago, because it sat unused for years, taking up space, now of course, I want it back! haha

This looks delicious Kristen! and LOOOVE the bread photos!

Nice pictures… and it looks delicious…
    I never experimented with breads though, I fear using yeast :-)
    and being an Indian, usage of breads is less often.
    But your pics sure inspire me :-)

I am going to try this!
    I made Challah bread once without my bread maker. It was a time consuming, process of reverence almost. I enjoyed it. It was delicious! It just wasn’t practical for a regular part of the schedule.
    I have found a couple recipes that work really well to get ready in the breadmaker and then bake in the oven. One Amish white and the other wheat. My youngest and I made a deal that we should never buy bread again – I should just bake it…
    I haven’t quite kept up, but I hope to get back there. I really enjoy it.
    The first loaf, I watched in amazement as they devoured it in a matter of minutes!

Hi, Kristen!
    Would you say this recipe is better than the one you posted in 2007? I have been making that one for ages now, and everyone loves it! If you tell me you switched to this one, I’ll give it a try… ;o)
    Best regards from Brazil!

This family doesnt know what leftover bread is either!!! any and all kinds get eaten in this house. If we go out for dinner and the neighboring table sits with their bread basket untouched we stare at them like they are freaks of nature….wondering if they would mind passing over their untouched bread! I love challah, and I love my bread machine. Can’t wait to give this one a try.

1. […] Basic, beautiful, and scrumdiddlyumptious! This no fuss recipe even uses a bread maker to make your life unbelievably easy. I topped mine with Ghee, I just love the flavor! I also divided the recipe into two, making 2X the happy recipients, and the loaves were still huge. (If I were to use mine for sandwiches or french toast, I would keep the recipe as one loaf.) Thank you so much to Dine and Dish for the recipe! […]