Crockpot Confusion {Recipe: Slow Cooker Coffee & Garlic Roast Beef}

As I was typing the title for this blog post this morning, I got stumped…. I used a Rival Crock-Pot to make the Coffee and Garlic Roast Beef for these sandwiches, but my fingers wanted to type crockpot. I went to my Facebook and Twitter friends to find out the important answer to this most critical question – Is it Crockpot, crockpot, crock-pot, slow cooker or slowcooker? What is this handy appliance really referred to as?

And you know what? You all are as confused as I am! The answers rolling in proved that we all are calling it completely different names. No matter what the appliance is called, I can tell you that it is an under-utilized little machine in my house. Every single time I use it, and remember how much it simplifies dinner, I vow to use it more and more.

My mother-in-law recently treated us to some tasty open faced shredded roast beef sandwiches. She made the roast beef in her crockpot / crock-pot / slow cooker and added a bottle of heavy stout beer. Those sandwiches were so good. I decided to test out her recipe but instead of using beer, I used a  bold coffee. You can’t really taste the coffee in this recipe (just like you couldn’t really taste the beer in hers) but the roast beef was so incredibly tender and rich in flavor. I’ve since made this recipe again and have turned my family into big roast beef fans.

Speaking of coffee, it’s time for a new Keurig K-Cup® Ambassador promotional code to share with you! AM0004-3571. This code offers 15% off Donut House K-Cup® portion packs (one of my favorites!) and free standard shipping (no minimum purchase), from now until 9.11.11. Make your discounted purchases at www.greenmountaincoffee.com! This offer cannot be combined with any other offer or discount.

Now, on to the recipe!

coffee crockpot roast beef

Recipe: Slow Cooker Coffee and Garlic Roast Beef

• 1 5-6 pound Beef Roast
  • 4 Garlic cloves, minced
  • 10 ounces bold coffee (Super easy to brew just 10 ounces with the Keurig!)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. Place whole roast beef in a large slow cooker / crock-pot
  2. Spread minced garlic all over roast beef
  3. Pour bold coffee over roast beef.
  4. Cook on low settubg for 8 hours or high settubg for 4 hours.
  5. Shred and serve on buns or slice and serve.

Comments

• says

Looks delicious sandwich. I haven;t tried a coffee on any of my dishes, think this one is a good way to start. Coffee is my fave drink whether hot or cold hence I thank you for sharing this recipe. Love lots, Cassy

If you have the Rival machine, it is a crockpot/crock-pot. By any other maker, it is a slow cooker. Nice court battle in the 70s settled the matter. This looks so good. I love garlic and have been wanting to experiment with coffee for a while. Thanks for sharing this delicous recipe.

• Nadine Young says

My Rival from early 1970s reads: Crock-Pot, below that it says Slow.Cooker. Still works good, avocado green. I believe the cost way back then was $13.00.

I made something very similar just last night, but now you have inspired me to try the crock pot roast with coffee next time. That was such a smart idea, Kristen. Now, kiss your brain. That is what we tell the kids, and it makes them smile every single time.

Love the sound of using using bold coffee. Like your MIL I usually use a heavy stout like Guiness and then I add some Coke to it too. But I”m so trying your bold coffee for the next one.

I have just started using my crockpot more because it seems like we never know when we will all sit down for dinner. Having the food in the crockpot means we can eat whenever we want! I love the idea of cooking a roast in coffee, very interesting. Thanks for the idea!

I have a slow cook roaster! lol………so I just refer to mine as my Nesco! love that thing!

this looks so good, like I could just reach in and grab that sandwich in the last picture! I’m adding this to next weeks menu! Thanks Kristen

Love this! We’re huge fans of roast beef. Just curious, do you use chuck roast or some other cut? I always buy chuck roast and am wondering if there is something out there I’m missing out on. ;)

This combo sounds perfect Kristen! I love coffee-flavored anything, will try this for sure. I’m glad everyone is so confused about the crock-pot/slow cooker thing. I’m honestly not sure how I usually say it!