The Happiness Report #12 – Iced Coffee, Flowers and Moleskine

I learned something today. When you think you aren’t happy… when you are in a funk… and you sit down and decide to write down recent things that have made you happy words seem to take over and you can’t stop writing. Little did you know, there is so much around you making you happy! Try it, seriously. Start writing down the things that make you happy and I bet you’ll have a hard time coming to a stopping point.

This week I didn’t think my happiness list would include all that much. I’m not going to lie… I’ve been in a “mood” – trying to get out of this funk I have been in. Trying to get a handle on life and what it is dealing us right now has not been so easy. So, I sat down and I looked around me and started writing. This is the shortlist of things currently making me happy, because little did I realize, when you focus on happy you will find an overabundance of happiness.

These roses were from this past winter. My aunt was here visiting when I was getting ready to throw them out because they were dying. She snatched them up, put some butchers twine around them and hung them out in our garage to dry. I totally forgot about them until I was getting our wagon out of the garage, looked up and noticed them hanging there. I would not have kept these roses, but now that I see how beautiful they are perfectly dried out, I am so glad my aunt had the foresight to do so.

Short and simple… Biscoff. If you haven’t had the chance to become addicted to these cookies and this spread, I recently found out you can order both online (and it is in many grocery stores too!) Incredible, addicting, happy stuff!

Moleskine notebooks – all sizes and all colors – make me happy. The perfect pen and a little notebook to jot my thoughts, grocery lists, to-do lists, happiness lists in make me very, very happy!

If you are a child of the, ahem, 70’s and 80’s, like I happen to be, you will find yourself laughing so much when you read the book Whatever Happened to Pudding Pops. I accidentally discovered it when I searched Google using the search terms for the title of the book… because I really did want to know whatever happened to pudding pops! Very funny, lighthearted book about the culture and trends of the 70’s and 80’s.

As a brand ambassador for Keurig, I have had the opportunity to drink a lot of coffee this summer. For the first time I’ve tasted Iced Coffee and much to my surprise, I’m totally loving it. Actually the other day I was up until 2am because I love drinking my iced coffee (and the Keurig makes it too easy) a little too much! My current fave is just a light roast K-Cup with a little caramel syrup and a splash of cream. I love the flavor the cream adds, but do you want to know why I really add the cream? It just looks so cool right after its poured in! It’s like coffee cream art.

Oh – and I’m happy to share a discount code for Tully’s K-Cup portion packs with you! This month (through August 20th) you can get 15% off all Tully’s K-Cup portion packs when you order through their website. (www.Tullys.com). The discount code specific to Dine & Dish readers is AM0003-3571. Make sure to like Tully’s on Facebook too so you can receive additional discounts directly from them.

Forcing myself to stop – but I really do have a lot to be happy with! Hope you will share what has made you happy lately too. Thanks!

Comments

Love this post because we should all stop regularly and count the ways in which we are happy. My son went to bed last night saying “I am the luckiest person in the whole world because I have a pool, a basketball hoop and Coco [a guinea pig he is looking after for a friend].” it’s the simple things in life but think we will all be happier if we make these little lists, moleskins or not.

Kristin, I always love the posts from your happiness project. They force me to slow down and take my own Happy inventory. Girl, there is so much to be grateful & happy for….I just need to stop and smell the roses (old or new) to do so :)

i think the happiness report posts might . . . and i say might because your blog was one of the first i started reading – and i love all your posts! but these happiness posts help me so slow down and think about my own ‘happiness’ list . . . even in the midst of life that sometimes isn’t fun . . . a reminder to be present is always good

What a great idea–I think that I’d be a lot less mopey if I did this more often! My boyfriend is addicted to Moleskine notebooks and Pilot pens, so that particular item on your list made me grin a little–thanks! :)

Aaaabsolutely! Just reading this made me happy. I’m naturally a positive gal, but it’s definitely important to remember to focus on the good things. I have to remind myself of that.

This might have been the most serious-minded thing I’ve ever typed. Ever.

Air Guitar national championships were this past weekend in Chicago, and my husband was invited to the Dark Horse competition (for people who didn’t win their city, but the tour organizers thought they deserved another shot, so the top 3 from that contest get to be in the finals as well), so we went – and AHHH SO MUCH FUN. He went into the second round tied for 3rd and ultimately finished the night at 8th, but the whole weekend was glorious, all the people there are fantastic and they love him and I love them. We’re going to the world championships in Finland at the end of August, too.

7. Kristi says

Reading this made me happy, Kristin! I so appreciate how faithful you have been with making these posts. It helps me remember to keep focusing on my fledgling Happiness project.

8. Lisa says

Pudding Pops . . . this is freaky, Kristen! Some weeks ago, I was wondering the same exact thing, “Whatever happened to pudding pops?” I didn’t Google it though; I just let the thought drift at the moment. I think it was within the next day or two, I checked the library’s new list and this same book was on it. It was freaky. :)
    And Biscoff has a spread? What does it taste like?
    I love that you add cream just because it looks cool! I just love ya!
    Love this post as always and hope you and your loved ones are all surrounded by love and joy….

P.S. I think you and I need to do a culinary tour of Europe (or just one country in Europe will be fine; we should find out which airlines dish out the best snacks first, though!). :)