The Gift of Time {Recipe: Lemon Pepper Shrimp Over Pasta}

Lemon Pepper Shrimp Pasta Recipe

I’ve been thinking a lot about time lately… lack of it, its speed and the meaning behind it. We have 4 weeks of summer remaining. I should be looking forward to those four weeks, anticipating the fun that we can have together, but instead I’ve been looking back, full of regret for the things we didn’t get done that I wanted to.

Where does the time go? Why is it that when you are sitting in a 4×4 cubical, working for someone else, time seems to crawl along at snails pace. When you want time to move slowly, it does the opposite. It steals the moments, the days, the hours and before you know it, the time you thought you had has slipped away leaving behind thoughts of what could have been.

I want more time… but I want it to go slowly so I can have the chance to breathe it in and savor each little moment, roll it around in my mind and enjoy it more.

For some people 4 weeks is what’s left of a lifetime… a gift they have been given. I need to remember that and appreciate it as the gift it is. I guess I should be thankful to have time… whether fast or slow… on my side.

Lemon Pepper Shrimp Recipe 2

When time is of the essence, I turn to shrimp as our “quick night” meal ingredient. This Lemon Pepper Shrimp over Pasta is a family favorite. Enjoy!

Recipe: Lemon Pepper Shrimp Over Pasta

• 1 (8 ounce) package pasta
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 cup white wine
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 pound medium frozen shrimp, tails removed, thawed
  • 1/4 cup butter
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente (approximately 9 minutes). Drain.
  2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, and saute garlic about 1 minute. Stir in wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and pepper. Reduce heat, and simmer for 5 minutes.
  3. Add shrimp and butter to the saucepan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, until shrimp is done. Stir in the cooked pasta and toss until well coated.

Alexia Fries Lemon Pepper

If you love these flavors you will love some of the flavors I’ve been experimenting with for the Alexia Fry Challenge! I can’t wait to share my final recipe with you.

Comments

You are absolutely right. Where does it go? The dish looks fantastic. It’s so light and fresh for the summer. Your photos are beautiful too!

Shrimp and I are BEST FRIENDS. And pasta and I are having a love affair. Don’t tell my husband. OR the shrimp. Unless they want to…well, never mind.

y.u.m.

beautifully said Kristen . . . i don’t know why time seems to stand still when we’re in the midst of things we dread and yet marches on at break-neck speeds when we’re trying desperately to hold on. but i do know that being as ‘present’ in the moment, taking everything in, becoming aware of the little things . . . placing ‘markers’ in my memory bank . . . all help in slowing down and being able to savor those moments. remember too, that looking back takes your focus off the ‘now’ and we miss opportunities for joy . . .

i think that is one of the greatest lessons i learned while doing the #30dayphoto journey in June; looking at all the photos i took during that period of time, helped me remember those moments of real happiness!

Ah, no truer words have been spoken – as I get ready to send my oldest off to college I also wonder where in the world the time went!!!
    I think however, that is the mark of a life well lived… all we can do is try and appreciate every moment of it!!!

I understand how you feel, Kristen. I’ve been thinking about time a lot myself, lately. When we’re young, we think we have all the time in the world. We’re always in such a hurry! Then, one day we look back, wonder where it all went and wish we could get it back. Sigh…

What a pretty dish, Kristen! I, too, am wondering where the past month and a half has gone. I just realized today that, after we get back from our family vacation in August, the boys will be starting school. Too soon!

Beautifully said, Kristen. I’ve had the very same thoughts on my mind today. I skipped my housework and blogging work and took the day to make memories with the boys. We baked, went on a picnic, played croquet, lit a bonfire and roasted marshmallows. They may or may not remember it, but I know I will.

8. Pat Wogan says

I interviewed a relative of mine on the occasion of his 100th birthday. I asked him how it felt to be 100. His response I will always remember. “It took a long time to get here, but when I look back, it has just been the blink of an eye.”

1. […] Recipe Lemon Pepper Shrimp Pasta Alexia Fry Challenge | Dine and Dish I've been thinking a lot about time lately. When I'm short on time I turn to this family favorite recipe – Lemon Pepper Shrimp over Pasta. […]