Summertime Memories {Recipe: Old Fashioned Chocolate Egg Cream Float}

Old Fashioned Egg Cream Float

Summertime as a little kid was the best. My mom had an in-home daycare, so every day I had friends my age to play with. There were no video games, only 3 channels on TV – none which were interesting to a kid my age, huge shade trees in our backyard and lots of fun!

The daycare kids and I would have dance contests on the patio, dancing to such awesome hits as Short People and Physical. We had records back then and couldn’t download songs instantly if we wanted something new to dance to.

There were always enough kids around to play games of Red Rover, Freeze Tag and Cartoon Tag. Underoos made us feel like super heroes and Kool-Aid was served without hesitation… no concern about sugar overload and such. Life was good…there was less “stuff” and distractions and a lot more fun.

Hey Yo Yo StrawsSuper cute 4th of July straws from Dine & Dish sponsor, Hey Yo Yo. Check out their Etsy store to get some for your 4th of July celebrations!.

One of the simple pleasures of summertime as a kid were the Old Fashioned Egg Cream Float’s my mom used to make. Simple as the way summer was back then, these floats were always a highlight that I would run in from playing as fast as I could to drink.

My mom most always used white milk, Hershey’s chocolate syrup and either vanilla ice cream or chocolate. However you choose to enjoy an Egg Cream Float, I hope it takes you back to your carefree days of summer.

What are your favorite summer memories from childhood?

Recipe: Old Fashioned Chocolate Egg Cream Float

• 1 cup ice cold whole chocolate milk (we prefer chocolate milk from Shatto Milk Company)
  • 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
  • 1 cup ice cold club soda
  1. Pour 1 cup of cold chocolate milk into a glass
  2. Add 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream and stir
  3. Pour ice cold club soda over the chocolate ice cream and milk until glass is full (it will fizz quite a bit! Be prepared.)

Comments

serioiusly, one of my all time favorite drinks. there truly is nothing like it! hey…and don’t forget kick-the-can. that was the game of choice in my little
    cul-de-sac

I totally remember egg creams, they’re so good I might have to get to making some this weekend. I remember playing kickball in the cul-de-sac in our neighborhood with all of the kids and getting yelled at to come home as it started getting dark. Definitely no iPods or downloads or video games back then!

I love this recipe! I completely agree that childhood summers were so much simpler, and although egg cream floats weren’t a part of mine, I sure wish they were! Anything old-fashioned has my heart, and this looks so yummy.

I’m not a native East Coast girl, so egg creams weren’t in my culinary vocabulary as a kid… but root beer floats sure were. Now that I live in NJ, I’m egg cream obsessed, and this looks like the best of both worlds!

Oh you bring back memories of my grandparents on Brighton Beach. They used the old fashion seltzer water with the pressure handle, U-Bet syrup and milk and make them for me and my brother when we were done running all over the boardwalk in front of their apt. It is one of those food memories that makes me smile every time. Thank you for sharing

Shatto milk company is the best! I haven’t gotten it in forever, as I don’t do much shopping anymore. Do you like any of their special flavors? I really like the root beer flavored milk. Orange is good too.

Beautiful Old Fashioned, it looks so delicious.

Kristen you just picked me up and took me back 30 years .Especially with the underoos making us feel like super heros :) Those were indeed good times. Simplier is always better. I can’t wait to share your recipe with the boys , do nothing but chill under the oak trees and dream up action hero names. xoxo

Wow! This really takes me back! Growing up in NYC, egg creams were a staple in the summer. The seltzer man would deliver those big glass containers every week, and like Amy, we would make our egg creams with milk and Fox’s U-Bet Syrup. I still keep a bottle of Fox’s in the fridge for impromptu egg cream making!