Morning Comfort {Recipe: Sour Cream Banana Pancakes}

You know those mornings where you wake up and by 8am, life just seems a bit too overwhelming? Yeah… I’m having one of those days today. I’ll explain more when I know more, but for now if you could please just send good thoughts out to the universe for my brother, we would greatly appreciate it.

Sitting down this morning to a plate of warm, fragrant, Sour Cream Banana Pancakes helped. There is something about starting your day off with food that fills your house with the aroma of fresh baked goods that just makes you feel good. As I was cooking this morning, stirring the batter, pouring out the pancakes onto the hot skillet, my mind escaped to mornings growing up. A smile crossed my face as I shared with my kids how when I was little, the first “sacrificial” pancake of the batch was always given to our collie dog.

Pancakes are emotional for me and evoke childhood memories like no other food can. Today, I really needed the comfort of childhood and I found it sitting at our breakfast table, eating pancakes.

Recipe: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used Green Valley Organics)
  • 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, mashed bananas and orange zest.
  3. Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until a moist batter forms (batter will be slightly lumpy).
  4. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  5. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 pancakes.
  6. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned
  7. Flip and cook for another minute until pancake is golden brown. Remove from skillet and serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Comments

Sending out lots of positive energy to you and your brother. Hope everything is ok. The pancakes look sensational, by the way. I would love some right now.

Thank you so much for sharing the recipe. Those golden banana pancakes look so delicious that I ‘m definitely going to try out this recipe.

After talking with you last night about these pancakes, you know I had to come check it out. Love the photograph and recipe. My mom always used to make pancakes with bananas in it, so this recipe brings with a lot of fun, family memories. I like your take on it – can’t wait to try it!

Dropped in from foodgawker and glad I did. You have such a wonderful space. This pancake looks so delicious! My wishes are for your brother!

I love you banana cream pancakes recipe. The bananas make the pancakes moist inside and and crispy outside plus a generous slab of butter with maple syrup is the best. I also saw a recipe before for pancakes where they used cream cheese and not sour cream. Pancakes does always bring back memories of our childhood. The smell of the melting butter and I also loved having crispy bacon with my pancakes plus a glass of milk and orange juice. Thanks for posting the recipe, I tried it. It was delicious.

Yuuummmmmm. My whole family are big fans of pancakes. Also? Those pictures are amazing. I am salivating for some butter ;)

Looking forward to seeing you again tomorrow at the Habitat for Humanity event!