Morning Comfort {Recipe: Sour Cream Banana Pancakes}

You know those mornings where you wake up and by 8am, life just seems a bit too overwhelming? Yeah… I’m having one of those days today. I’ll explain more when I know more, but for now if you could please just send good thoughts out to the universe for my brother, we would greatly appreciate it.

Sitting down this morning to a plate of warm, fragrant, Sour Cream Banana Pancakes helped. There is something about starting your day off with food that fills your house with the aroma of fresh baked goods that just makes you feel good. As I was cooking this morning, stirring the batter, pouring out the pancakes onto the hot skillet, my mind escaped to mornings growing up. A smile crossed my face as I shared with my kids how when I was little, the first “sacrificial” pancake of the batch was always given to our collie dog.

Pancakes are emotional for me and evoke childhood memories like no other food can. Today, I really needed the comfort of childhood and I found it sitting at our breakfast table, eating pancakes.

Recipe: Banana Sour Cream Pancakes

• 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream (I used Green Valley Organics)
  • 3/4 cup skim milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon orange zest
  • 1 large, ripe banana, mashed
  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, mashed bananas and orange zest.
  3. Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring until a moist batter forms (batter will be slightly lumpy).
  4. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet over medium-high heat.
  5. Ladle the pancake batter into the pan to make 3 pancakes.
  6. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until bubbles appear on top and the underside is nicely browned
  7. Flip and cook for another minute until pancake is golden brown. Remove from skillet and serve warm with butter and maple syrup.

Comments

Kristen, I’m thinking of your brother. And sending hugs to you.

Your pancakes are beautiful. I’m just writing a pancake post, myself, but sitting here wishing you’d taken the photos for me, hehe!

2. Alan Cooke says

Those look and sound yummy!! The wife loves banana Laffy Taffy, but hates REAL bananas. Go figure! Maybe I can win her over with these =)
    @alanecooke

Thinking of your brother Kristen, and wishing I could have been with you in your kitchen this morning. Your pancakes look so comforting and wonderful. Like a food hug. A sticky one, but still, hugs are hugs.

I’ll be keeping your bother in my thoughts. I always find it interesting how we always “need” comfort food from our childhood when we are worried about someone close to us. ((hugs))

5. Pat Wogan says

My thoughts turned to my Grandma when I read this post. She always used corn meal and sour milk to make pancakes for the dogs every morning…They were delicious and she always gave me at least one of them. So I guess I got the sacrificial pancake. Thanks to all your friends for their prayers for Larry. Your blogger community is full of really caring people!

6. Lisa says

Wow, I never liked pancakes, but this photo/post makes me want to eat one! How do you do that?! :)
    Definitely sending tons of good energy out to your brother (and family). Love ya loads!

I am so sorry to hear about your brother. I had both of my babies at Centerpoint and live a little ways north of there. If there is anything that I can do to help you out or you need anything while you are visiting let me know!

my heart is heavy for you today my friend; thoughts and prayers, healing and otherwise have been said in ernest today – i am also putting Larry on the prayer chain w/a group of friends in my community. these pancakes look like a big hug – have a couple and think of us circling you with big hugs!!

I am a pancake eating phenom. We eat pancakes pretty much every sunday. I am looking forward to trying out this recipe. I will however be adding some of those delicious strawberries you have in the background of the picture. Thank you so much for the recipe.

-Rob

10. Kim B. says

Praying for you & your brother! Thank you for allowing us to take a trip back through childhood with you :) Hang in there!!

Thinking of your brother and wishing the best!!! These pancakes are enough to make everyone feel at least a little bit better :)