Why You Shouldn’t Schedule Your Blog Post Tweets

Something to ponder over your morning coffee...

Picture the scene… it is late in the night on May 1st, 2011. You and a group of friends are sitting around, watching groundbreaking news unfold. Osama Bin Laden has been killed. It is a historic moment, most likely not to be forgotten during your lifetime.

Deep in conversation, you are all expressing your gratitude for our US Soldiers. Some are expressing concerns over the safety of our troops and the retaliation that is certain to come from Bin Laden’s death. Additionally, many are aghast at the celebrations taking place in the streets, remembering back to 9/11 when “they” were celebrating in the face of our tragedy. The conversations are deep, meaningful, thought provoking. Then, all of a sudden, one of the friends present says “Hey… look at these cookies I made for Mother’s Day. Pretty awesome aren’t they?”

Everyone looks at the person like they are insane. Did they just talk about Mother’s Day cookies in a time like this? Do they not know what just happened?

This is basically the scene last night. Twitter and Facebook were a buzz with the news of Osama Bin Laden’s death. Among the news, tweets that were previously scheduled (or at least I hope they were pre-scheduled tweets) were interrupting this historic moment in awkward abundance. Scheduled tweets, my friends, were seen as irreverent and completely out of place and frankly, a bit ridiculous. As Stefania tweeted “Beyond strange, it’s a social media fail.”

I know this type of event doesn’t happen everyday… it is a brief moment in history, but consider the moments your scheduled tweets might be interrupting and decide for yourself if it is truly worth that extra few seconds you gain by scheduling your blog post tweets.

Just something to think about… do you want to be talking about your latest unrelated blog post when groundbreaking history is made?

Comments

I was feeling the same thing as I popped on Twitter(which I don’t do much) last night. So many conflicting emotions. So glad he is gone, the monster is dead, but…the war is not over and we still have a lot to be cautious about. It certainly changes the energy/perspective of things!! Thanks for the thoughts, Kristen, and for making us question.

You know what? You are SO right! I schedule my tweets sometimes….just the ones linking to great posts I’ve seen, not “here’s what I’m doing right now” tweets, just so I’m not bombarding people’s twitter streams all at once. But, I definitely would not want one of my “oh, this is so cute” tweets coming through in the middle of breaking news. Thanks, Kristen.

I completely agree. I remember tweeting something similar when the news was just coming out of Japan about the earthquake. It was just bizarre. People tweeting about their latest post while we were watching the images of the tsunami rolling in. With regards to Osama Bin Laden being killed, I too am confused by the celebration. Anyway, social media is great – but I agree: fail. Thanks for writing this, Kristen.

Hi Kristen,

What great insight. I think it’s still a learning process for so many of us (the social media phenomena). While it allows us to connect, it also allows to over-connect and possibly alienate the very people with whom we are trying to build relationships.

Beyond even this monumental moment in history, I see daily complaints that Twitter has become littered with “check out this giveaway” and “vote for me in this contest”. I’m certainly guilty of some of that (hazard of the job I’ve created for myself).

So, it’s nice to be reminded that building community is about taking time to get to know the individuals within that community. It’s not about driving traffic and scoring big numbers. It happens one person at a time. It happens when a world event is played out before us as we try to process it together. And it is a lot more satisfying to create those relationships than to have one, two or four hundred more anonymous views of your homepage.

Best,
    Casey

I agree 100%. One blogger in particular had three separate scheduled tweets to publicize the same blog post. I hadn’t noticed her doing that before but it really stuck out last night. Maybe tweeting about the same post over and over is standard practice and I hadn’t caught on, but I found it annoying enough that I unfollowed her.

I totally agree! I saw tons of those last night. I struggled with that this morning with my blog post because our site is strictly food-related… but it felt wrong to say NOTHING about it. I don’t know…

I pre-scheduled a couple of tweets before: one failed to launch, and the other blurted out a bad link, so after that, never again. If you see me tweet, I am there. And I saw some tweets that completely boggled the mind, from last night and even during the events in Japan. These things are unpredictable, but like you said, one should consider the benefits vs being caught like a deer in the headlights with a tweet.

Great post, Kristen! :)

Kristen-

I am guilty of scheduling tweets on many occasions. In fact, I had two go out last night. Talk about feeling like an idiot, but I was so absorbed in the news that I failed to even think about the tweets I scheduled at 9:00 am! This post is definitely an eye opener and something that we should all think about. Well said, my friend. Well said.

I didn’t even know you could schedule tweets! ha! Doesn’t that go against the whole point of the real-time social interaction?

Well said and I couldn’t agree more. I think we forget sometimes what the real purpose of these platforms are for and get lost in the ‘doing’ of it all. Glad to see that I’m not alone in my thinking.

I couldn’t agree more Kristen. I was watching the news unfold last night and had my laptop open. I saw so many misplaced tweets it seemed almost disrespectful.
    Before reading your post I didn’t even know you could schedule tweets.

Completely agree, I’m not a fan of scheduled tweets. I saw a few really weird ones last night and they really came across as out of place and perhaps even a bit tacky.

13. Pat Wogan says

Again, Kristen, I m proud of you! Great insight! Also glad that you have the empathy to understand that this is a great event that will have ramifications for all of us. Some will be positive and some, negative. It does, however, provide closure for those who lost loved ones in 9/11.

I’ve been struggling with all the jubilant celebration, and very much appreciate your ability to capture into words my sentiments.

I love this post, Kristen. I was actually working on my Mingle Monday linky post last night when the news broke and just closed my computer. It just didn’t feel right to me and I knew it wouldn’t feel right to anyone else either.

This is so right on. It’s so important to do more than self-promote, but to engage yourself in the topic of the moment (food-related or not). In watching my twitter stream last night, food posts felt weird and out of place. However, the discussion my food friends were holding on Osama’s death was fascinating.

I never schedule my tweets, not even for clients, so eh. I am not a big fan of that to begin with.

I THINK: If a blogger or company wants to Tweet/engage they should do it and not schedule Tweets for people to engage with when they aren’t even there (maybe it’s the IRL equivalent to asking a question…and then running away or hanging up the phone before listening to the answer?)

But at the same time, I don’t begrudge anyone for wanting to talk about something else or change the subject. After about an hour of last night’s news and listening to the president’s address I was admittedly ready for a break.